2005 Sport Trac Parking brake cable connectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac Parking brake cable connectors

Trophcrazy

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Ford explorer sport
I looking for the connectors that are required to re-install the parking brake cables as my garage took them and dumped the old and now they dont know how to re-assemble the cables. I bought the front/back (right & left) and the intermediate. A picture or diagram on what connects with which connector will be of great help. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looking for the connectors that are required to re-install the parking brake cables as my garage took them and dumped the old and now they dont know how to re-assemble the cables. I bought the front/back (right & left) and the intermediate. A picture or diagram on what connects with which connector will be of great help. Thanks in advance
welcome to EF! are you looking for the drum section of the parking brake that sits on the axle section, or a diagram of the cable or both?

Thanks for replying, I am looking for a pic or diagram on how the cables connect as they have lost the connectors, how does the front cable connect to the back (left & right) and the intermediate. Basically how do they all connect.

Thanks for replying, I am looking for a pic or diagram on how the cables connect as they have lost the connectors, how does the front cable connect to the back (left & right) and the intermediate. Basically how do they all connect.
ok, not sure i have it, but hopefulky someone else does

Thanks for trying but could not get the link to download, wish someone has pics that will be real helpful to see

not even this one?

I appreciate your help but this is the brake assembly instructions. I need the cable connection diagram/pic with the connectors that are used to connect them together

Do they look like the one on rockauto? Part of 2000 explorer parking brake cable

I appreciate your help but this is the brake assembly instructions. I need the cable connection diagram/pic with the connectors that are used to connect them together
ok, no problem. hopefully someone has them!

I need to know which connector fits into which cable as they are different sizes, as I bought the cables. Need to have a diagram or picture of how they are all linked. As there are 4 cables front, intermediate, back left and back right

These help? If not, let me know. Front to rear.
DSC08846.JPG
DSC08847.JPG
DSC08848.JPG
DSC08850.JPG
DSC08851.JPG
DSC08852.JPG

So from the pics can you tell me the first is the front cable and it connect to the intermediate ? the 3rd pic is which cables, I think i am missing a connector in the 4th pic as that one seems large on one side (and that is what cables back right ?) sorry i am a rookie in this trying to solve the mess my mechanic did, but i park on a slope to I need the parking brake. Thanks a lot for the pics so far and if you can details the pics that will be even more helpful to me.

Pics 2-3-4 are connectors shown front to rear. Your 2005 Sport Trac frame is exactly the same. Use holes and brackets in the pics as reference points.
Find the missing connector before going any further. Best bet would be a salvage yard because it was probably discontinued long ago. Good luck.

I did manage to get the "Equalizer" or connector made, and connected all the cables. It does engage when compressed but the brakes dont hold the truck even if I press the lever all the way down although it is a hard compression. Adjusted the brake shoes (new installed) to almost max but it still doesnt hold the truck on a slight incline. Was told by the mechanic that the cables which are all new but be the issue. Is it the cable lengths ??

If you can push the parking brake cable all the way to the floor, you need to adjust the cable tighter..........

......the brake parking cable and the hydraulic brakes are two separate situations. No matter how tight you adjust the brake shoes inside the drums, it has nothing to do with how tight the parking cable is.

If you can push the parking brake cable all the way to the floor, you need to adjust the cable tighter..........

......the brake parking cable and the hydraulic brakes are two separate situations. No matter how tight you adjust the brake shoes inside the drums, it has nothing to do with how tight the parking cable is.
First will like to thank you for your suggestion, but there is no adjuster to tighten the cables they are new ones installed. The brake lever is pretty hard to push down already. Do you think its the pivot levers of the shoes that might be the problem ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First will like to thank you for your suggestion, but there is no adjuster to tighten the cables they are new ones installed. The brake lever is pretty hard to push down already. Do you think its the pivot levers of the shoes that might be the problem ?

Back