2005 V8 Plenum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 V8 Plenum

TennesseeTom

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie V8 4.6L 2v 283
Ok. Here's the question that is driving me crazy - bouncing back and forward from site to site with no real answer.

I know that there are plenums from TrickFlow that work on explorers up to 2004. What about 2005?

Are we 2005 X's left to get a P&P on a stock plenum or is there anyone out there willing to help me modify the vac line connectors to adapt to a mustang plenum or other advice? How about a direct bolt on for us 2005 explorers?!

Mods to date:
JL Stealthbox
20" Giovanna 5 spoke on 275/55 R20
FIPK by K&N
Flowmaster 50 single in dual out
SCT programming
JBA Shorty Headers

I started with the airbox mod I read on here about 2 months ago. Well no one told me that this would be an addiction.. Thanks a lot, guys!

LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would almost need to compare dimensions of the mounting holes for the throttle body as that is the only difference in the 05 vs. 02-03 explorers. Is the intake manifold itself different? I think they are the same, so it would bolt on there. Also, keep in mind that in 05 the mustangs went to the 3v motor which has a completely different intake setup.

bolting on there I don't think is the problem comparing photos, etc. It is the vacuum lines that may pose problems etc.

Any ideas or anyone who has done this successfully to give me full on instructions/pointers?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think anyone has done it with a throttle-by-wire v8. Because there are no aftermarket throttle bodies with a bigger bore diameter for these trucks with Throttle-by-wire. So doing just the plenum will probably not gain you much, if anything.

You are right, I've NOT found an aftermarket larger than 65MM that will fit on there yet but have been talking to people that do these mods for mustangs. It seems that the best option I've got is to get a TB and Plenum and send it to THIS GUY:

ebay tb for mustang P&P

So if no one has any better ideas, I think that is what is going to happen here.

Thanks in advance!

Check with James about the BBK 1765 throttle body. It is a 70mm unit made for the 4.0, but he told me they would fit the 4.6. Double check with him though.

Back