2006 6r60 trans fluid change.....anyone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 6r60 trans fluid change.....anyone?

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.6L
so ive done a search and cant seem to find much info. has anyone done a transmission pan drop and filter change on a 2006-2010 explorer with the 6r60 6spd transmission? my 2006 EB currently has 62,000 miles and id like to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. I will be using motorcraft mercon SP with a motorcraft filter and I have a fluid pump to fill it back up. my question is has anyone else done this on their own? or is everyone going to the dealer? how much fluid will I need? just wondering if theres any problems I will run into. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the 5-speed, but I took mine to the dealer. It started acting funny so I had it replaced. It can be a pain to do it your self. You would have to disconnect the outlet line at the radiator, and connect another hose to the outlet, and have 2 5 gallon buckets, along with a helper to start and stop the ignition in order to make sure ALL the old fluid gets replaced, and not just whats in the pan. The dealer hooks a nifty machine up to it that pumps new fluid in at the same rate it sucks the old fluid out. I think I paid $130 for mine. I would say it is worth it.

I don't like flushing machines. All they do is force dirt and sludge through your transmission, plus I want to clean the pan and change the filter. Anyone have any input on doing this themselves???

I did mine, dropped the pan, changed the filter, installed the pan, topped up with a pump. Took about 5 liters. I know it wasn't a full fluid change, but better then nothing. The dealership told me not to do a flush as it plugs up the solenoids with the crap that is loosened up, but they would do the same job for 160 bucks. The only expensive part was the mercon 5. they ding you 10 bucks a litre for it up here. Oh yeah, you don't need a transmission filter either as there is a reusable rubber gasket built into the pan, on the 5 speed that is.

Has anyone done this on the 6R60 6 speed ?

No, but I'll be watching this closely. Previous owner serviced the trans at around 60,000 miles, but I don't know which method (flush or pan-drop). I'm at 101,000 miles, tow a 5000lb camper a few times a year, and have not done any further trans maintenance.

Called my friendly dealer. V8 6-speed here. They don't drop pans, just suction and refill at the cooler. They don't change the filter, claiming the fluid flushes it out. $175 for the service using Ford fluids. Usually a good dealer, but this has me wondering...

Has anyone done this on the 6R60 6 speed ?

I have not changed the trans oil with a 2007 V8 Explorer with the 6R60 trans, but I have the service procedure to drop the pan and refill the trans if you want to PM me with your e-mail address.

The trans capacity is 10.5 liters (11 quarts) of Mercon SP, do not use Mercon V since it is not compatible. After the pan is dropped cleaned and re-installed then 3.3 liters (3.5 quarts) of Mercon SP are added through the fill plug which is just above where the pan attaches on the passenger side of the trans. A flexible tube on an oil fill gun works ok for this but is awkward due to the exhaust very close by and the lack of space. This oil allows the vehicle to be driven and warmed up to open the thermostat in the trans to send oil to the cooler lines and remove any air. With the trans hot in park with engine running and level then crawl under and unscrew the short dipstick plug and separate the dipstick from the plug and insert the yellow dipstick to measure the fluid level. Add enough Mercon SP to raise the oil level into the cross-hatched area. Re-install the dipstick into the plug and replace the plug and tighten. Be careful to avoid burning your fingers on the exhaust.

Because of the thermostat located inside the trans a typical flush with the engine powering the trans pump and torque converter to move old oil out and the flush machine pump sending new oil into the trans is not possible. The service manual does not give any instructions on how a scanner may open the thermostat to allow a flush.

Good luck.

I don't like flushing machines. All they do is force dirt and sludge through your transmission, plus I want to clean the pan and change the filter. Anyone have any input on doing this themselves???

They do a better job of flushing the xmsn than you can by removing the pan and draining 2 quarts of fluid out. There is a reason why dealers use them. They flush all the crap out of the xmsn, lines, and radiator.

Your entitled to your opinion.

The correct method of servicing a transmission is probably the single most debated subject on this forum. Regardless, most agree that a pan drop and the filter should always be replaced, and service should not be done on a high mileage transmission with burnt fluid. Many "flush" machines have no power and use the vehicles own transmission oil pump to "exchange" the fluid. For maintenance reasons I chose to have my 5R55E serviced at 61k by my local dealer. They used a BG PF5 machine, 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V, MC filter, and gasket for $199. That's about $50 more than my cost of materials alone. No brainer and mess for me. Two of many opposing internet threads on this subject below.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100456.htm

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/168

Last edited:

I had my explorer transmission (6R60) pan dropped and filter changed at the dealer just couple months ago. Originally I asked them to check the fluid level and they said that the fluid looked a bit dark, recommending fluid change. I don't think they flushed it all out, but just added 5 quarts of fresh Mercon LV (yes, not SP) to replace the drained fluid. If I recall they charged $199 for this service. Quite reasonable in my opinion.

For me the fresh LV fluid did make the transmission much smoother. Slight bump during downshift from 2nd to 1st is no longer there. Shift from 1st to 2nd is also smooth if the shift happens at 3000RPM or higher. I'm sure the transmission works now better than it ever did!

I had a shuddering problem a while back that I thought was the torque converter, so I took it to a local transmission shop and they put new fluid in for $150, and it fixed the problem I was having.

I had my 2007 4.6L/6R60 flushed at 108k for $160 at a quicklane and it was a dramatic improvement - eliminated converter cycling and constant shifts at light throttle. probably will flush it every 50k now.

Based on what I've seen/read, I'll get the flush. Why they ever eliminated torque converter plugs and the dipstick? I'd love to do my own like my 2000 f-150, but they've made it a waste of time in my opinion. Mine has never been changed so I'd hate to have half old crap mixed with new.

Right or wrong, the reason for no plugs nor dipstick eliminate potential contamination points, and make this a no-service item for normal duty vehicles. If you don't tow, use in extreme conditions, etc, then you should not need to service the transmission. Again, agree or disagree with the practice, that's the reason.

Right or wrong, the reason for no plugs nor dipstick eliminate potential contamination points, and make this a no-service item for normal duty vehicles. If you don't tow, use in extreme conditions, etc, then you should not need to service the transmission. Again, agree or disagree with the practice, that's the reason.

Quick question. Would you consider driving with a really heavy foot as heavy duty?

I think they do it because people seem to neglect the fluids anyways, why not eliminate things most people don't know existed in the first place!! My opinion or yours, they're building cars disposable and harder to work on for the average Joe the plumber in his driveway. Grease for life this, and unserviceable that. I like to work on em and try to every chance I get.

I had my explorer transmission (6R60) pan dropped and filter changed at the dealer just couple months ago. Originally I asked them to check the fluid level and they said that the fluid looked a bit dark, recommending fluid change. I don't think they flushed it all out, but just added 5 quarts of fresh Mercon LV (yes, not SP) to replace the drained fluid. If I recall they charged $199 for this service. Quite reasonable in my opinion.

For me the fresh LV fluid did make the transmission much smoother. Slight bump during downshift from 2nd to 1st is no longer there. Shift from 1st to 2nd is also smooth if the shift happens at 3000RPM or higher. I'm sure the transmission works now better than it ever did!

Ditto. I did it a year ago at the dealer around 70k. Without the right tool it is too much of a PITA. I paid a little over 100 for trans filter and drop (not flush). I think it was around 8qts added on the receipt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have dropped the pan and changed the filter and added as much fluid as I could in mine. It took care of my shuddering issue.

Get a piece of brake line tubing and bend one end over to make a hook for pumping the fluid through. Using it to put the fluid back in next to the hot exhaust will be much easier than trying to get your hand and the hose from your pump up in there. You can even use it and a piece of hose to hold the mini dipstick for checking the fluid level.

Make sure you have the right filter. The filter I got from an auto parts store was to deep. I had to get a shallow one directly from Ford, but it was actually cheaper so it worked out well.

It's been a while, but I think I used about 8 quarts of fluid as well.

Back