2006 Eb V8 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Eb V8

Sorry, can you explain the prob in a little easier way to me ? When does this hesitation appear ? Is it reproduceable ? In which situation do you have this effect ? And what the heck is meant with drive by wire in this case ?

Is it about anything like throttle response, or how I do have to understand it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what drive by wire is either. But the hesitation is in the first 1/2 inch of throttle nothing happens and then BOOM I think they meant that there is no throttle wire My 06 happens all the time until it warms up and then when it damn well fels like it Scary steppin 0n the gas and nothing happens for a second and you go

THANX

My friend has a dodge truck, 2000 with a v8, also is electronic throttle. Though he didnt have any hesitation problems at all. And when it shifted gear its was pretty cool, it would shut the TB during shifting then re-open. Sounds pretty wicked with wide open throttle!

To get rid of that from happening, since he wasnt satisfied, he removed something from the wiring and it shifted instantly.

Dont get any ideas from this, just from my experience this eletric motor for the TB is pretty wicked :D

good luck you guys, hope they figure out something soon.

It might be possible to reprogram it so that it doesn't have a time delay, and is more responsive. I doubt the dealer would want to make it more responsive (especially if it's still under the Ford warranty).

ah, now I know what you mean. Thx for explaining. I got the same on my Eddie V8 as long is I ran it in stock tune. Now since two days I have the Xcalibrator 2, and even in the regular-fuel-tune I have no delay. Throttle response can´t be compared to stock, it´s a total different kind, and it´s real fun. Guess in the premium-fuel tunes it makes a jesus-car out of the Explorer ( can turn tires to smoke :D just kidding ).

I agree that probably a dealer won´t do this reprogramming, mine "wasn´t able" to disable the 100 mph-limit, and it´s not a big deal. If anybody is interested in more experiences about XCal-2 on 2006 Explorer, I made a new thread yesterday where I will post mine. Maybe some more "SCT"Users adds their experiences and tips there.

Update

So we take the car into the shop with a VERY detailed typed letter of our service concerns. 20min. later they have it all typed into their machine---what a waste as I basically just repeated everything so they could type it in. Grrr.

Items to review---

Tailight moisture
Shimmy at 75-80mph
Pull to the left
Clunk from drivers door
Tranny harsh shifting issues.

Get car back and they shot 3lbs. of grease on the door hindge depsite my telling them that was done once when we bought it and another time by myself. The had to order the taillight (that's fine), the said they couldn't duplicate the shimmy as they can't drive above 65mph and they couldn't feel the pull. They forgot to check the transmission woes! I was pissed about it all, but decided to wait until the tailight came in. :fire:

They call a week later that the tailight is in. We go back and I tried to be as calm as I could with the service writer. Here's my beef---I drive the car 900 miles on a trip and it pulled left on every road. The shimmy is apparent at about 75mph on the highway. I drive in Indiana, so going 75mph is 5mph over the posted limit. Moot point if you ask me. Page 9 of the warranty book says that balance and alignment adjustments are part of the warranty for the first 12-months. This guy tells us the first visit that he doesn't want to put it on the alignment rack b/c he'd have to charge us $100. What? Did he read about the warranty? I guess not.

So, I approach him and ask if he's calling me a liar? He looks puzzled and I say, "well, I drove 900 miles in the car and you drove 10 on a test drive and didn't even get above 65mph. I felt it pull and shimmy and you're telling me it doesn't and you didn't even get to the described speed where it occurs." I go on to say, "Do you think I'm trying to profit some how off of you on this; do you think I enjoy taking time out of my day for these things?" Come on, what's the advantage for me to lie about this?" He tells me that unless they can duplicate the concern, they can't authorize a warranty repair. I'd have to pay for it. That seems reasonable on a truck with 5,000 miles, don't you think? :rolleyes:

5,000 miles on the vehicle, there's a warranty book that says it's covered and I drive it for 900 miles vs. their 10 and they say there's nothing wrong. I spend $38k on the truck and they apparently aren't willing to work with me and just put it on their alignment rack and balance the tires? If the vehicle didn't have so few miles on it, I'd start to appreciate their concern for not paying for it. However, with 5k on the clock, and a warranty book that says it's covered to 12k, why wouldn't you just do it for a customer who spent that kind of money on the vehicle and has other cars serviced at their department? I'm completely beside myself on this and not sure what to do. Try another dealer, I guess, but this is chewing up a lot of my time.

So, after the second service visit they call to say they flashed the PCM, and can't fix the door. It's an apparent "mfg. defect." as they put it, and there's nothing they can do with it! What? You are a repair center for the mfg.!!! Fix it. They then give me the same BS as before on the shimmy and the pull.

So, I'm stuck with a clunking door, pull to the left and a shimmy at 75-80mph and a dealer who isn't willing to work with us after buying a $38k vehicle from Ford.

What would you do? I know one thing, they're fired and a letter to the BBB, state attorney general, Ford and the president of this dealer will be released in the next two weeks. I've been here before with another car mfg. and that sure got peoples attention---my issue, in that case, was resolved within two weeks of them receiving that letter. Hate to be that way, but their service practices are unacceptable.

Did you even try to swap the frontwheels with the rear ones to check if that shimmy maybe is caused by the tires ? Would help to locate it, but I would expect this way to figure out by the dealer. What you posted of that 10 mls checkdrive remindy me of my Opel (GMC) Omega Stationwagon I had in 99 - the dealer was same kind of jerk as yours.

I wouldn´t make any move to those guys and write to FoMoCo first and ask them how to deal with the prob, it´s a lotta money we spent for such a truck, and if warranty says it is covered a dealer shouldn´t have any blind excuses not to fix the probs - otherwise he shouldnt sell & service cars for the company he does.

I just picked the truck up from the second visit and once again, it's covered in grease on the inside and the running board is also covered in runs from the grease they used on the door hinge.

Unreal...

I would write to Ford customer service. Their information should be in your owners manual. Then look for another dealer. It is sometimes difficult to find a dealer with good sales and service departments. I have been very lucky to have a good dealer to work with here in Wisconsin. I have worked with the same salesman and service manager for the past nine years.

Hesitation and 1-2 shift problem fix

Hello everyone, I’m new here. I found this site searching for info on the very problem this thread was started with. We took delivery on our explorer in January and had the dealer look into this problem in February; they did find the tranny fluid low from the factory but that was it. After topping it off it worked ok for a few days then back again. Oh put 5 adults in the explorer then feel how bad it is.
Well with print-outs of these threads and others in hand I went back to the dealer and told them to do what they can and if it’s normal, I’m going to be writing to ford about this.
Picked it up yesterday and it seems to be fixed, the truck is still "learning how to drive" again but a remarkable difference so far. Here are the comments on the work order:
Contacted the "hotline", dropped mechatronic, inspected, retorque, reprogrammed TCM and PCM.
There is another line at the end there that I cannot remember but that was the major part of the comments. I suggest that anyone having this problem go back to the dealer and have them contact the "hotline" for the fix. Ill post again in a week or two to tell if the fix is still working or not.

Tsb

I had 450 miles on my explorer when tranny started to act up and had a tsb preformed that reprogramed the pcm and tcm to a latter calibration. It only
made thing worse, dealer called hotline and replaced the transmission valve body and reprogramed again, only have it back 2 days, but the shifting is getting better by the mile...

Tsb Info

TSB 06-13-1 Various drivability and shift quality symptoms calabration update release -4.6L 3V 6R60- equipted vehicles only built on or before 5/14/2006

tsb involves the reprograming of the pcm and tcm to the latest calibrations and gives instructions for the tech on how to properly drive the vehicle so
the vehicle can learn to shift properly before vehicle is returned to owner. :usa:

NOTE TSB FOR 4.0L V6 5 Speed Automatic

Tsb 06-17-13--calibration Update-4.0l-various Symptions-surge,torque Converter Cycling ,and No Upshift After A Forced Downshift, Poor A/c Performance

My 06 has the same problem when driving through a parking lot shifting from 2nd to first you hear a loud clunk as it downshifts to first. Then when you are on the road going from 2nd to third feels like you are driving over bumps then a loud clunk to 3rd. Then the samething from 3rd to 4th. Once in 4th and over 40 mph it runs smooth.

Took it to the Ford dealer yesterday they flashed the computer tech said it got better. But they are going to have to replace the transfer case. At first he thought it might be the torque converter. Turned out to be the transfer case.

Have 25k miles on it so far. Will update more later after I get it back in a couple days.

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and have very limited experience with our '07 v6, but it does exactly what all of you have described as well...the hesitation and the reluctance to downshift when slowing for a stop. I'm quite certain that it has a great deal to do with the DBW system. We also have a '05 Grand Marquis which has the DBW system and it hesitates (typically on a rolling downshift at 40mph+) and the trans does "clunk" when you roll slowly and accelerate (almost stopped and the light turns green). I find that I've quicly modified my driving habits to avoid those situations...very easy application of the throttle seems to greatly soften the hard downshifts.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Misfires

Just had my 2006 at the dealer. Was told needs Tune up due to multiple misfires. Tune up quoted over $1,000 because '06 has a "two part plug that can snap in half when removing requiring extra re-tooling". Anybody hear this before?

Back