2006 Eb V8

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
Does anyone else notice that the 6spd on the V8 seems to be slow to react and that it's a bit harsh on some shifts?

Here's an example. Coming to a stop sign....say you don't come to a compelete stop, but that you bascially have the tires almost completely stopped spinning and you then accelerate. It's like the tranny is stuck in 3rd and then slams down to first and takes off. That doesn't happen, though, before you've pushed the accelerator down and nothing happens and then it happens all of the sudden.

The above will happen all the time. Now, if I do come to a complete stop and take off, I can get it to happen from time to time. Basically, you push the accelerator and nothing happens for a split second and then it kicks in hard and then down shifts from a higher gear to what I assume to be first.

Finally, from time to time the 2-3 shift is harsh. Fluid is fine, doesn't smell and every other shift is smooth and quick.

3,000 miles so far. Will be going to the dealer soon for moisture in the drivers side tailight. May have to bring this up----I see others on Yahoo, edmunds, etc. are saying the same thing.

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the computer needs to be reflashed for this problem? I am not sure but I know I have heard of others having similar problems.

It does the same in my Limited, I brought it to the deal and they erased the "shift tables" (their words) which fixed it for 10miles and the problem is back again. The hesitiation is caused by the new drive by wire throttle system in the explorers. I am bringing mine in for the hestition, rough shifts, rear tail light moisture, and headliner rattle. Who else has these issues?

If the drive by wire system is so troublesome, maybe there is a TSB, or a recall on it. When you checked your ATF fluid, did you check it on level ground when it was both cold, and hot? You should have Mercon V in there. Anything else will cause slippage. Lubegard sells an additive friction modifier that could be added to make your existing fluid into Mercon V just in case there is a doubt.

BrooklynBay said:
If the drive by wire system is so troublesome, maybe there is a TSB, or a recall on it. When you checked your ATF fluid, did you check it on level ground when it was both cold, and hot? You should have Mercon V in there. Anything else will cause slippage. Lubegard sells an additive friction modifier that could be added to make your existing fluid into Mercon V just in case there is a doubt.

Checked it on level ground, when it was hot and then again when it was cold. The stock fluid is in there, so whatever that is. I don't think the transmission is defective; rather, I think the drive-by-wire system is not "talking" well with the transmission as it relates to the programmed shift patterns. It's like it needs to be told to go to 1st gear at anything below 2mph and then not shift so damn hard at the 2-3 shift with moderate acceleration.

I'll be prepared to hear the BS about how it's operating normally when I am in next.

Shumax

When I took mine in they reflashed computer without me even mentioning it. Also my XLT has no trans dipstick. :confused:

Had the same prob in the beginning, became better with the mileage, and it´s gone since my dealer tried to disable the 100 mph-limit. During reprogramming the EEC the gearbox was re-flashed, too. No probs anymore.

Crizz said:
Had the same prob in the beginning, became better with the mileage, and it´s gone since my dealer tried to disable the 100 mph-limit. During reprogramming the EEC the gearbox was re-flashed, too. No probs anymore.

What, exactly, did they do? Do you have a receipt/work order that you could scan and send so I could show my dealer?

Thanks!

They disabled the speedcontrol, flashed the EEC, restartet the Ford WDS, enabled speedcontrol and flashed the EEC again.

During the first operation ( flashing after disabling ) the gearbox was re-flashed too. I don´t know if that´s a normal operation or if it is caused by the combination of US-Ford and GE-WDS-Unit. The 100 mph-limit wasn´t impressed by the procedure, and I´m very upset about that - money for nothing, useless time for monkey business. I´m going to get the X-Cal II now to get rid of that damned limitter....

Maybe your dealer can do the procedure above with success and you get rid of your shifting probs. The try is worth it.

I notice the hestiation occasionally, not all the time.

What i do notice is in a hard throttle, the shift from 1st to 2nd will "hang" a little and sucks when you are trying to take off (say from the traffic light).

cwescapexlt4x4 said:
I notice the hestiation occasionally, not all the time.

What i do notice is in a hard throttle, the shift from 1st to 2nd will "hang" a little and sucks when you are trying to take off (say from the traffic light).

Mine does that, too. Sucks because the truck leaps off the line with moderate to light pressure on the throttle. Then, that shift from 1-2 takes forever so much that the guy behind you has caught up. Not like I'm racing it by any means. Hard to explain, but that lag on the 1-2 is definately noticable.

Add another to the hesitation list. The same type of issue exists on the F150. A lot of F150 owners fixed the problem by getting an aftermarket tune or programmer. Has something to do with the drive by wire system.

And for The CEO, I also have the headliner rattle. I drove two limiteds and they both had it. I can't figure out exactly where it is coming from. If the interior wasn't so quiet, I'm not sure I would notice it.

Welcome to the world of TBW! :D

Sorry to tell you guys, but this is common among TBW vehicles. It is not a mistake, Ford programmed them like that for a reason. That reason is so that owners cannot be as harsh on their vehicles as with a regular TB will be. This leads to Ford having to fix less vehicles that are still within their warranty period, which in turn saves them money. The system your referring to that causes the TBW lag is the torque control. It is meant to cause that hesitation and overall power lag.

The only way to really minimize this is to get an aftermarket tune via a performance tuner to turn torque control off (among other things). About your only real option at this time is to get an SCT tune via an Xcal2 to remedy this problem.

BrooklynBay said:
Another option is to wait until it's out of the warranty period, and convert it back to the old style cable system.

No. That will throw A LOT of stuff off! The 2005 Mustang crowd have already tried that. While it is an ok option for racing(who cares abouut driveability in a racecar), it leads to terrible gremlins that have to be chased from there on.

BrooklynBay said:
Is this only used on V8 engines? If so, when did they start using it?

Dont quote me on it, but I am almost positive it is on the 6'ers of your year also. 2004 is when they went to TBW for the Explorers. I am pretty sure it was 2004 when they also swapped from the regular MAS to the slot-in type of MAS element too. Nothing against you new gen guys, but I am sure glad I got an 03! So much easier to mod.

SHUMAX,

How did you check the trans fluid? I was told the 6 speed is a sealed system. There is no dipstick on mine.

I don't have the tranny problem but I have had 5 taillights replaced so far for moisture!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back