2006 Explorer 4.0 stalling/ dies HELP wanted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 4.0 stalling/ dies HELP wanted

Carl16

Reaction score
City, State
Florida, Miami
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006,ExplorerXLT
My name is Carl and i am a new member on the forum, I own a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT AdvanceTrac RSC 4.0 SOHC V6 with 93.000 miles on the odometer.

I bought the car used and after about a week I serviced the car ( in the first week the car had no issues ), the maintenance went well until, to my greatest surprise, a spark plug thread #1 cylinder turned out to be worn out ( damaged ) bummer.
So I had to fix the spark plug thread, via a tutorial I tapped, cleaned and placed a " save a thread helicoil long insert in the #1 cylinder.

After this the car remained with a issue, with a cold engine the car dies / stalls a couple of times ( about 4 to 7 times ), normally I can start it right away while driving i put the gear in neutral and then it usually starts up right again, sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times before it starts up and then it drives like as if nothing is wrong I can drive for an hour without it stalling or dying on me.

The car has thrown the following codes in the past with my obd2 scanner on Forscan:

B1318
B1681-20
B1915
B2097
U0140
P0451
P1812
B1676
U0140-20
U1900-20
U2013
P1000

At this moment the cat shows the following codes:

P0451
P1000
B1676
U0140

Over the past few months I have replaced the following parts with new ones myself:

-Fuel filter
-Evaporative Emissions System Pressure sensor
-Fuel pump assembly
-Vapor Canister Vent Valve
-Vapor Canister Purge Valve
-Fuel Pressure sensor
-Intake Manifold Gasket Set
-Fuel pump driver module
-Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF sensor
-Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve EGR Valve
-Camshaft position sensor
-Crankshaft Position Sensor
-Spark plug wires + spark plugs
-Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve PCV Valve
-Throttle body
-Ignition coil
-Thermostat housing

I also took the main engine wiring harness out and checked for continuity and damage or corrosion and it was all good.

I am wondering if the Helicoil may not seal properly or is not deep enough in the hole so if the Helicoil can cause the car to stall.

I'm now at the point where I'm starting to get a little desperate so I'd like to get some advice, ideas, tips from the experts on this forum.

I hope for positive feedback from you guys

Greetings,

Carl

Back