• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 4.6 Timing Guides

jk86racing

Reaction score
City, State
Granby, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer V8 E.B.
I've got a 06 Ford Explorer 4.6 with the tow package that has around 133k on it. I bought the vehicle a couple of weeks ago and have no idea of its history. My question is would it be good medicine to replace the timing chain, timing guides, and tensioners while I do all the regular maintenance on the vehicle before it hits the road? There is no noise that I can hear coming from the front, but I do hope to get a bunch of years out of it and also plan to do some medium towing and traveling. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I pulled my old motor out with 200k miles, I thought I had a timing issue (it was just locked up torque converter that needed replacement) and installed a used one with 55k miles.
I took the front cover off just for fun and see if there was any issues, and the only thing I would replace were the tensioners, they were very soft compared to the new ones I got for the new engine. The new OEM tensioners are hard to squeeze without oil pressure in them, the old ones were like butter. But surprisingly, the old engine was not making any noises, had full power, and the chains were still in very good shape with 200 k miles on them. They are pretty sturdy, and solid. The guides were also in good shape, so to answer your question - no, I would not mess with it. I also do towing and plowing with mine so it gets worked hard at times.

Well I got the vehicle up on jack stands last night and decided to go forth and change the front timing set. I don't know any of the history on this vehicle and not knowing if they changed the oil regularly, or if they used quality oil, is my deciding factor. I figured for a few hundred bucks and some busted knuckles it would be good insurance to do it now while the vehicle isn't registered or in use, rather then when I'm three states over hauling a trailer.

Will not hurt. Did you use OEM parts ?

Just ordered the parts but I went with a Cloyes timing set and Fel-Pro gaskets

Are you replacing phasers as well or just the guides and tentioners ?

Just the guides and tensioners. Once I pull the front of the engine apart I'll see what condition they are in and make a decision then. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can change out the cam phasers without pulling the front cover? All I need to do is remove the valve covers?

If it aint broke, dont mess with it. I had a small tick and decided to have a shop do it. after that, the car was never the same. few hundred miles and motor was dead. had to replace motor.

What broke? Did they set the timing up wrong?

I think v6 has all kind of other timing issues. v8 less.

I don't know exactly, but it went like this:
1. Oil leak from rear main seal
2. car started shaking and went into safe mode
3. Low oil pressure
4. Guides all broke loose and chatter was crazy

Back