2006 Explorer Battery Light Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Battery Light Problem

Spacegarbage90

Reaction score
City, State
Sudbury, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, explorer, xlt 4.0L
Hey all,
So my alternator went so I replaced the alternator and battery only to find that the battery light turns, and stays on, on about 20 sec after start up. Voltage between the posts when off is around 12, when running its 14.4 at the battery and post on alternator so it seems to me that it is charging. I did take the alternator back to get tested and they said everything was working within spec. I'm thinking I must have a bad connection, or broken wire somewhere. Any leads would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,
So my alternator went so I replaced the alternator and battery only to find that the battery light turns, and stays on, on about 20 sec after start up. Voltage between the posts when off is around 12, when running its 14.4 at the battery and post on alternator so it seems to me that it is charging. I did take the alternator back to get tested and they said everything was working within spec. I'm thinking I must have a bad connection, or broken wire somewhere. Any leads would be greatly appreciated
It's a 2006 explorer xlt with 4.0L

Hi

Probably alternator connector wiring broken or melted somewhere

Hi

Probably alternator connector wiring broken or melted somewhere
Ya, I think it must be the yellow wire coming off the pigtail. Any chance you know where that goes?

No idea for 4.0 wiring

But i believe that one single alternator pigtail wire goes to the engine harness ( PCM side) for charge indicator and the second one goes to the battery + terminal for charge cycle control

Back