2006 Ford Explorer Limited Seat Track in 2010 Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer Limited Seat Track in 2010 Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin?

shamski

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
I have an issue with my 2010 Sport Trac's drive seat ... the up/down for the front of the seat has stopped ... thankfully at an OK height. it is getting power as you can hear the motor engage when the switch is pressed, but no movement. I am guessing the gear is shot.

I have a potentially easy solution -- my predecessor to the Sport Trac was a 2006 Ford Explorer Limited that I still have around (for parts you know :) ). I have looked at the part schematic and the seat tracks look identical with one exception -- my Explorer Limiter had the memory module and the Sport Trac does not.
I believe the part numbers are:
Sport Trac:
6L2Z-7861711-DR
Explorer:
6L2Z-7861711-ER

The question: can the seat track have the memory module, and work in the Sport Trac?
I could try it out but thought I would ask first.

If it doesn't work out, the search for a used on begins but since it isn't urgent will wait until it is nice out to go looking.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

If the electrical connectors are the same between the seat tracks, I would expect they're interchangeable. The main difference between the two is all the power functions must run through the memory module. It doesn't really change the way the switches and motors connect though. Those should all plug in just the same. I'm just not sure if the memory module will function correctly without the memory switch from the door panel (or wherever it is on that year).

Yup, your correct that the big difference is the memory module and a connector on the electrical harness.
So I did end up swapping the seats over. during Holidays. The wiring harnesses for the respective vehicles needed to stay with the vehicle -- the harness is different for the seat with memory modules versus those without (memory module connector, and the main connector had extra pins for connection to the memory module buttons on the dash). Otherwise a pretty easy swap as all the seat hardware is the same.

So my 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac now has a fully functional seat with all motors working. The 2006 Explorer got the broken motor seat, and the memory module no longer works reliably in it --- but that's Ok as it is destined for recycle heaven.

Back