2006 ford explorer no start no crank. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 ford explorer no start no crank.

Kayne7850

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer 4.0
Replaced and rewired the starter. Starter runs when jumped between the solenoid and starter main.
Dash lights up, I can hear the fuel pump kick on, although its a bit loud.
Switched the Starter and wiper relays.
battery is new and at 800cca over 12v. just tested good.
still no crank, no start.

before hand it was, what I would call, hard starting. Starter would run a moment then it would start, maybe one or two churns.

theories are:
Fuel filter or fuel pump. even tho it activates and has 43.25 psi per my diag.
Anti Theft system. Not sure how to deactivate that. My key is almost 20 years old it may be out.
i did try the spare key, and nothing, no theft light however the eng light flashes. no codes.

Thought it was not getting voltage but it seems to be getting enough power to the solenoid.

any ideas or help is appreciated. its very cold here and i don't feel up to dropping the fuel tank to find out that isn't it. Not sure of another way to test the pump with out dropping the tank

Edit: Dawned on me to check the old starter. Ran it from the a battery, jumped the solenoid from the main, and used the positive terminal on both at the same time. Did not work for the OE, new starter did work but ran slow. Will say, the starter on the vin has the solenoid bolt in a different place than the OE, don't think that is the issue due to they both run clockwise.

Oe PN: 6L27-6A1ocy-ca
Remy starter on vin: 27005 reman

Back