Starting Issues (No Crank)

psuce1

Reaction score
City, State
Bentleyville, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
Hello,

I would like to say thank you to everyone on the site for sharing all your knowledge. I have been looking things up on this site for years and you guys are really spot on with your recommendations:thumbsup:.

This issue my 2010 explorer 4.0 is having isn't one that I can find using the search tool. My explorer will randomly not start (no crank) It will either not respond at all when the key is turned or it will crank but not long enough to fire then when the key is turned again it will not crank at all.
The issue started about 4 months ago. I parked the explorer and took my other truck to work and when I came home the explorer wouldn't crank. I kept turning the key and put the shifter in neutral but no response. Eventually I smelled what I thought was wires burning and I saw smoke coming from under the hood from the power distribution box. I opened the lid and the small black diode in there was melted and smoking. I let the truck sit for a couple days while I was getting the diode and when I put it in, it was the same. I could turn the key but no crank. I tried a couple times and then felt the diode and it was getting warm so I stopped. I couldn't work on it for a day or two more so it sat then I pulled it up on the level to change the starter. Just for the heck of it I hit the key and it started. I changed the starter anyway and it was fine for a couple months then it had the same problem again. I changed the diode again and changed the starter relay in the power distribution box, both had no effect. The truck will start just fine if I use my power probe and put power directly to the starter solenoid. Once it starts once it's like it resets something and it is good again for a week or a month or a day. You never know when it will do it again. The PATS light is not blinking or illuminated while it is having the issue. I have switched keys with no luck and I have pushed in on the ignition and wiggled it and done everything I could think of while trying to start the truck with no luck. It either has to sit for a day or two or I have to jump the solenoid then it is fine until who knows when.

It seems to me the issue is in the system that starts the vehicle without holding the key in the start position. I'm not sure what that system is called but you can just "bump" the key and the vehicle will crank and start itself. I have no experience with this system. The engine doesn't ever crank longer than usual to start when the system works properly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

sounds like the starter relay transistor in the ecu is bad

can you scan it for codes and see if one says theft detected most of the no crank issues I have read were pats related because in these trucks it will not turn over unlike 2nd gens where it just does not get spark....and is the cluster lighting up like it normally does....the thing you are talking about i think its called something like smart start... I wish my 07 had that because most GM's have it and I got used to it driving my GF's trailblazer

I haven't checked the codes to see if anything about the pats shows up. I will try to get that done. The cluster does light up as normal. Is there anyway to test the ecu for this problem? I'm not ruling out the pats, but leaning away from it due to the melted diode. It seems like there is too much resistance somewhere.

Back