• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer Overheating

PetePA8820

Reaction score
City, State
Exton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L engine. The truck has been overheating at idle the past few weeks. I have replaced the thermostat and confirmed it is operating properly. Had the coolant flushed and replaced. The water pump was replaced about 3-4 months ago. I do not see any visible leaking. Is the most likely problem a clogged radiator? Does anyone have any other suggestions? The fan does not sound like it is running loud at any point like some others on here have had problems with. any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Pete

2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L engine. The truck has been overheating at idle the past few weeks. I have replaced the thermostat and confirmed it is operating properly. Had the coolant flushed and replaced. The water pump was replaced about 3-4 months ago. I do not see any visible leaking. Is the most likely problem a clogged radiator? Does anyone have any other suggestions? The fan does not sound like it is running loud at any point like some others on here have had problems with. any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Pete

The radiator just started leaking yesterday. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend!!

I had an old Hyundai where the temperature sensors broke. This meant that the fan didn't start. It was only a problem when the car was in idle.

I think based on the symptoms I am having, I am going to replace the fan clutch this weekend and then go from there. Thanks!

Back