2006 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems

nicki52731

Reaction score
City, State
West Branch, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
I own a 2006 Ford Explorer with 253,000 miles. After having four new tires put on, I noticed my vehicle was not shifting into gear and it was making a very loud winding noise which I believe was coming from the transmission. Is it just a coincidence or would new tires affect the transmission? I know I have a lot of miles and that a transmission can go at any time but I had no warning at all that there was a problem. Any input would be appreciated.

If it is all wheel drive tires can cause problems.

Are all the new tires identical?

different tire size front to rear will cause the transfer case to bind and make some interesting noises.

If run like this for long it will destroy the transfer case.

Double check that the tires match. (actually read the size info on each tire, don't just assume because they "appear" to be the same)

Unless you put some radical tires on in place of the stock one's the tires should not matter... Most times the winneing noise is fron the rear end assy... Plus the trans should have the transmission oil & filter changed about every 50K miles for best service...

Back