2006 Limited - Drivers door swings too easily | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Limited - Drivers door swings too easily

Ziggy75

Reaction score
City, State
Reed City - Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited 4.6
Ive had this Explorer for about a month now and I notice that the drivers side door opens and moves way too easily. What I mean is that there is zero spring tension to the door. My passenger door has some resistance to it. The other day it was somewhat windy and when I opened the door it just flung right open. That is when I decided that I needed to do something about it. So I am seeing two hinges and it appears that the lower hinge is the one that would provide the spring tension to it. Anyone think that the hinge is junk and needs to be replaced or is there something else that I could try. Thanks

It is possible since that is the one door that gets used the most. If you are hard set on replacing them I would get another set (top and bottom) from a unit in a salvage/junk yard from say a 2010 year so you know that there is not much use on them.

One from a 2010, thats not a bad idea.. I am thinking that the hinge is probably just worn out. It could even be broken. Who knows.. All I know is that it swings open to easily and fast. A new hinge would cost a pretty penny.

The problem is the stupid door handle at the front of the door on '06 models. They added another catch for '07 (like all cars have) back in the arm rest, but for '06, you can't add that without replacing the entire panel.

Are you saying that it does not catch on the intermediate stop? Most hinges have some sort of cam/bump which lets the door open about 1 foot, but holds there (except in a high wind). Does your try to catch at all? If not, then definitely replace both hinges.

Back