2006 Mustang. U-Joint replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Mustang. U-Joint replacement.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Has anyone replaced a ujoint on their 2005 and up mustang. Napa, AutoZone, and Ford does not list a U-Joing for the mustangs.

2006 4.0 mustang auto transmission.

The local dealer is emailing the main parts guys in California to find a part number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did some minor digging online. I hope you don't have the one where most people are just replacing the whole driveshaft since the u-joint in non-replaceable...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ace-u-joint-without-replacing-driveshaft.html

Unless things have changed in the last year the solution is to take your driveshaft out and have a driveshaft shop cut off the ends and put on normal 1310 ujoints.

That is what we did our our 06 v6. We now run cold forged, sealed spicer joints.

You could use this excuse to upgrade to an 8.8 rear from a Gt mustang or go hog wild and upgrade to a mustang gt 5 or 6 speed trans at the same time. :)

~Mark

Unless things have changed in the last year the solution is to take your driveshaft out and have a driveshaft shop cut off the ends and put on normal 1310 ujoints.

That is what we did our our 06 v6. We now run cold forged, sealed spicer joints.

You could use this excuse to upgrade to an 8.8 rear from a Gt mustang or go hog wild and upgrade to a mustang gt 5 or 6 speed at the same time. :)

~Mark

Did yours have the non-replaceable joints in it?

Here are the pic from the mustang guys:

Non-replaceable
photobucket-4798-1326464977362.jpg

Replaceable
photobucket-4647-1326465008958.jpg

Did yours have the non-replaceable joints in it?

Here are the pic from the mustang guys:

Non-replaceable
photobucket-4798-1326464977362.jpg

Replaceable
photobucket-4647-1326465008958.jpg
Yup, was pissed when I found out. IIRC, I paid $150 to have the shaft changed to use 1310s.

~Mark

Whew so its safe to think that if I can find the joint Ii can replace them.

Whew so its safe to think that if I can find the joint Ii can replace them.

Lucky you.. we had to get a new shaft made (using our old one)..

For the Spicer u-joints, I get mine from 4wheelparts.. Here is the 1350 u-joint from them which looks to be what you need (from what I see on the mustang sites).

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...aspx?t_c=12&t_s=515&t_pt=3624&t_pn=D/S5-1350X

~Mark

EDIT: The one above is the lubable one which IIRC is NOT the cold forged. I can't find my catalog right now I can't find the 1350 cold forged p/n.

I dont think ill put the cold forged in it. Its just the v-6 and we will be getting rid of it in the future. Wanting to trade for a newer explorer. Families just dont fit in cars like this.

I took the drive shaft out and did not end up replacing the joints. There was no problem with them and it was in my best interest not to replace them at this time. I do still have a drive-line vibration at certain speeds. Going to start to track this down.

Where is your vibration.

We have had one at 90 mph for a while.. Goes away at 95. Its not bad but I can tell when we hit 90. It was there even before the 8.8 went it.

We recently picked up a 62mph shake. Enough to make the passenger side seat shake some (when no one is in it).

I put it on the lift and found a few things I'm going to take care of.. hopefully those will take care of the shake..

In case it helps... I found....
Passenger side muffler mount pin wasn't "in" the bushing. It somehow got put in the space around hole for it but still was held up by the mount.
Driver side rotor was slightly warped (when spinning the rotor you would get a whoosh whoosh sound.
Exhaust joints had worked loose some (X pipe front and rear clamps)
I did the brakes and fixed the exhaust. I also replaced the saddle clamps with band clamps.
The shake is still there.

I found the Drivers rear shock is leaking some so I am working on getting a replacement pair (using the yellow Saleen OEM shocks)
The transmission mount looks more than a little worse for wear and the cross member for the trans mount has a chunk taken out of it. I'm looking into what after market replacements there are right now.

On top of all that.. @ 220k miles I'm sure the sway bar ends, strut mounts and some of the bushings really should be changed too...

I really HATE chasing vibrations and odd noises..

~Mark

I just threw out the OEM driveshaft from my 2005 a few weeks ago. Removed it at 22,000km when I did the CS6 conversion & replaced it with a one piece aluminum unit.

Hope you find your vibration.

If it turns out to be a rotor let me know - I still have the OEM rotors & front calipers from mine along with all the shock, struts & springs. Removed at the same time as the driveshaft so they have lots of life left in them.

Mark we have the same vibration (as determined from you your posted).

I am going to be working on tracking it down a little at a time. Not worried about it that much because joints were my fear.

Mark we have the same vibration (as determined from you your posted).

I got our 65mph vibration fixed. You still feel/hear a change just over 90mph but all the other odd-ness is gone.

In addition to the 65 mph shake, the Mustang was starting to get an odd feeling when driving.. Almost like it was loading/unloading the rear axle and the gear shift was really moving when you got on/off the throttle.

Soo, I attacked some of the issues on Friday...

I changed the Trans cross member assembly which comes with a new insulator. The new p/n works fine on the vehicles that came with the older style.

You can see the differences here. The old mount had a chunk taken out of the metal front an off-road incident but I think the real issue was 220k+ miles on the rubber.

8708231527_68ca27f774_z.jpg

photo (49) by maniak_az, on Flickr

I also swapped out the rear shocks. They were worse than I thought.. Since they got bad over time I really couldn't remember how tight they were supposed to be. Once I put the new ones on I really couldn't push down on the rear of the car and make it move. We are using the Saleen shocks, springs and struts so they should really be stiff. I think this was the weird loading/unloading I was feeling in the rear of the car.

The last thing I attacked was the front strut mounts. I was trying to get rid of the clunking sound up front. The old strut mounts had way too many miles on them so I replaced them with a set for a 2011 Mustang gt500. These are supposed to be a much better mount. When I took the old ones off the struts they just fell apart and bearings went everywhere.

8709352764_34c9720b6d_z.jpg

photo (46) by maniak_az, on Flickr

Once I had all the work done I did a quick alignment (camber) and got the front tires set back to 1 degree of negative camber. I'll check it tomorrow and see if it moved some as I wanted to let it settle before I set them back to "my specs" of 0 toe and .5 degree of negative camber.

We took the car out last night and again today. The 65mph shake/feel is gone and the car feels nice and tight now. Good enough that when Yo was late this morning and hit amusing speeds on the freeway that the car felt nice and planted like it did right after we did the saleen suspension upgrade.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Trans Mount/insulator (p/n 8R3Z6068D) was the 65 mph shake and the other odd-ness was the rear shocks. I don't think the front strut mounts were causing the vibrations.

~Mark

Thats good news. I will be working on our vibration after we move from Memphis in about 6 weeks. Then I will have the time to mess with it.

Thanks for the info.

Back