• Register Today It's free!

2006 V8 EB drivetrain noise.

irontrader99

Reaction score
City, State
chicago, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
I have a 06 eb with a v8 and 6spd tranny. 78k miles on it. my truck has developed a humming noise that i think comes from the drivetrain. I replaced the front wheel bearings and but 4 new michelin cross terrain tires on it. i just noticed that ther is a slight leak from the transfer case where the driveshaft attaches so i changed the transfer case fluid but it did not quiet the noise. Could it be the bearing at the transfer case output point?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my profile is updated. the noise sounds like driving on cupped tires

Could it possibly be the new tires? I have bought tires before that had much more road noise than the tires I replaced them with, so it's just a thought, and not one I have any ideas about how to troubleshoot other than borrow some wheels from another explorer owner.

Check to see if one of your wheels is warmer than the other side, front and back. If one side feels much warmer, then it's possible you have a caliper that's hanging up a bit and dragging the pads on the rotor.

Back