2006 V8 Low Fuel Indicator

emcee

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hello everyone,

I just came across this site today, and I am very impressed. I just bought my first Explorer (2006 V8 Ltd).

My question is this:

The low fuel indicator came on for the first time the other day after about 350 km (210 miles). When I went to fill up the car, I could only fill up 60 L (@16 Gal). The tank is 85 L (22.5 Gal). That means that the fuel indicator comes on with 1/3 of a tank remaining. This seems awfully early to me. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is there a fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

emcee said:
Hello everyone,

I just came across this site today, and I am very impressed. I just bought my first Explorer (2006 V8 Ltd).

My question is this:

The low fuel indicator came on for the first time the other day after about 350 km (210 miles). When I went to fill up the car, I could only fill up 60 L (@16 Gal). The tank is 85 L (22.5 Gal). That means that the fuel indicator comes on with 1/3 of a tank remaining. This seems awfully early to me. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is there a fix?

Mine comes on about 3-4 gallons prior, but talk about annoying (in a good stupid american sorta way) of the repeating reminders (chimes) about every few miles or so.

Our 02 dosn't come on until needle is almost on E.

Might be a faulty sensor in tank.

cwescapexlt4x4 said:
Mine comes on about 3-4 gallons prior, but talk about annoying (in a good stupid american sorta way) of the repeating reminders (chimes) about every few miles or so.

With my 03, the warning comes on with 50 miles to empty. The reminder warnings are then every 10 minutes (very annoying sitting in traffic).

My 98 comes on just above 1/4 and so did my Mustang, all v8s.

Mine comes on at about 50 miles approx. 1/8 tank. Id say yours is coming on way too soon.

Bigkondor said:
Mine comes on at about 50 miles approx. 1/8 tank. Id say yours is coming on way too soon.

I thought so too, but when I called the dealer, they said that it was normal, and could not be re calibrated. Although I am not sure I believe him. It is annoying that it over takes the dashboard every few minutes.

it depends on how you drive and ur mpg. the low fuel light comes on when the computer calculates you have 50 miles till empty, this is calculated by ur mpg driving habits and so on. but that is why if varys. if you have a heavy foot like me it comes on when i get to about the 1/4 line. other times when we go to texas or cali on the highway it comes on about midway between the 1/4 and the E line because when your on the highway you get better gas mileage and so it comes on a lil later than the norm start and stop traffic

i'd rather it be too soon, than too late... just in case I had not checked the gauge recently...

my 06 light comes on with about 50 miles or so left on the tank, which is usually about 2-2.5 gallons :)

are u talking about the message in the message center or the Light on the instrument cluster?

I know in second and third gens the message center warning comes on with about 50miles or so left, and the light on the dashboard comes on with less then 1/8 of a tank

Mine comes on at about 1/8th of a tank. Let me say as a former Ford Certified Tech, Ford fuel gauge systems are not the most accurate and at the very least very inconsistent between Ford models. I have seen some that would run out of gas before the needle went below empty and others were the needle wouldn't go over the full mark with a full tank.

Here is my best practice:
I have always made it a habit to take the time to "get to know" your fuel gauge on each car. After verifying the full capacity of the tank (let's say 20 gals.) I would monitor several tanks to see where the fuel gauge was before an 18 gal fill up. This practice let's me verify where the gauge reads as it relates to the actual fuel left.

After 31 years as a licensed driver, I have NEVER run out of gas. I wish I could say the same for my wife!

Back