2007 Explorer Sport Trac V8 has a Knock or Tick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Sport Trac V8 has a Knock or Tick

saefjordan

Reaction score
City, State
Royal Oak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac Limited
My 2007 Explorer Sport Trac V8 has a Knock or Tick on the Drivers side of the motor. What is it most likely to be? It quiets down after the motor runs for about 2 minutes but is still faintly there. I live in Michigan and bought it with 11k on the clock and it now has 80K. It started doing this last winter about 15K ago. I have been using Ford Motorcraft 5w20 synth blend oil and motorcraft filter.

Any ideas on what it might be and how much to fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust manifolds studs break off and cause exhaust leak cold. It could also be lifter problem.

My 08 has started doing this too at 43K miles. Pretty faint, but I can hear it at idle. I'm going to get it to a mechanic I trust next week and get his opinion. I'm thinking "lifter" right now... Probably the only way you are going to get a definitive answer is to take it to your mechanic and have it checked.

On the positive side, I'm having no other mechanical problems, and my mileage is still maintaining 15 in town and up to 20 on the freeway, so I hope whatever it is, it's a minor problem.

i dont want to jinx you, but you might want to look into your timing chain tensioners possibly.

What makes you say that?

MIne had the exhaust side leak, its that

I build these 4.6 engines for a living. Sometimes its misleading chasing down a sound. I'm putting my money on the exhaust manifolds leaking. One thing I've noticed on these explorer cast iron manifolds, for some reason they warp after time, and the mating surfaces are no longer flat. Mine were warped, put a straight edge across them and was some insane warpage like .040 from being straight. I bought a spare set of used manifolds to replace them, and they were warped too!! Instead of buying a new set (pretty expensive for stock manifolds) I ended up putting another piece of a second gasket under the last 2 exhaust ports that wouldn't seal. Yes I know that's ghetto, but I knew the engine was going to come out for my swap soon anyway.

When you fire the engine cold, the metals have shrunk (albeit thousandths of an inch) the metal has to expand to make a good seal, so you hear the ticking from the exhaust until the metals expand after a few seconds of running. Doesn't take long with exhaust temps.

Also have a shop check the exhaust manifold bolts for tightness. You can reach most of them from the wheel wells. but don't overtighten, they'll strip. It's an aluminum head. About 18-20 ft/lbs is all they get.

i dont want to jinx you, but you might want to look into your timing chain tensioners possibly.

Chain tensioners rarely cause an issue in 4.6 motors. Where did you get that advice?

Hi Stylin, I'm sure you have been reading the thread about the exhaust manifold problems. In your swaps etc. did you come across a header solution for the 4.6?

Ha actually no I hadn't seen it till now! Yes the warpage happens on both sides. Both of mine are warped, the right side was a little worse though when I measured it.

Back