• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer

Timothy Joseph

Reaction score
City, State
Ashley il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer xlt
Im trying to find out if i can put 6R80 Transmission out of a F150 4.6 into a 07 Explorer 4.6 that had an 6R60

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same question but no answer, sorry.
Do you have a good reason to use the 80 ?, good deal ?

The 60 is a decent tranny as well. When I asked a Ford tech once the same question, he told me "no" due to programming differences. I thought the difference was more "hardware" type. I recall the 80 uses slightly different mechatronic assembly. For the 60 you can't buy just the TCM, you need the whole unit from Ford, I saw you can but separate pieces for that in case of 80.

Did you tranny go south ?

Why does the PDF manual I have say the V8 has a 6R80 when looking at the fluids and capacity.

I think I am going to see if can get a build list from Ford. I hate guessing, in fact I don't want to as there is nothing worst than taking something apart and finding you got the wrong part someone looked up for you vehicle.

Tripplec -

what is your question ?
You have 09 model

2006-2008 came with 6R60 with Mercon SP
2009-2010 came with 6R80 with Mercon LV

The OP has 07

Oh, never saw that in any confirming form.

Answered my great question and latest fluid for it. I am going to force my son to get a fluid change and Presume the dealer should do a drain and fill. Not a flush on the 6R80.

THANKS !!!!

EDIT

Call one local dealer and they do a Flush! No filter changed or maybe it only has a screen. Now checking with another one to see if they're the same or not.

I just did drop and filter change on mine last Saturday. Took pictures, will post it in the next few days.

Is there a filter on the 6R80 which should be changed. A flush may just plug it but I'd expect the dealer should now what is the right method. With this method all the old fluid is gone.

I know on Chrysler vehicles years ago they said a flush was a no no. Drain and fill only. Still checking as I am waiting for a call back.

A different dealer does the drain and fill. Quoted $142 for the parts. Fluid, Filter & gasket if needed so I'd know. Labour for the service an addition $149.

So which way to go. He said its not a screen (the parts dept. guy). So its likely the original filter and a flush would not be better in my opinion.

Gasket is reusable one so don't let them sell you one. It would be a crime to have the pan down and not change the filter.
It is messy, but my fluid and the filter totaled about $ 80.
On the original package it reads "Screen" but it's really a filter.
I paid $ 200 for the flushes before.

Thanks, I'd have the shop do it. Filling from underneath would not be any joy and on an angle would be hard to get it right. Its not something I have done that often on my vehicles but at least in the beginning taking over someone else's ride. A baseline needs to be set where you know the fluid is good and changed etc. Given the tow rating and load factors with the tranny cooler. The fluid should be good for a very long time with the occasional light tow of ~1500lbs or < 2000lbs which near 1/3rd of its rating.

If it was services with the filter changed then a flush might be ok or maybe better getting all the fluid out first and then drop the pan for a drain and fill getting a new filter in it. It Depends!!! On how one looks at it. LOL

Back