2008 Explorer 4WD - transmission issue when wet and raining | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer 4WD - transmission issue when wet and raining

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 FordExplorer XLT 4WD
I bought my 2008 Explorer 4WD 4.0 engine new. Have maintained all of the normal issues and fixed issues as they came up, e.g. front wheel hubs, brakes, radiator, thermostat housing, etc. I have an issue with my transmission after replacing the thermostat house two weeks ago.

I had the valve body solenoids replaced earlier this year after some shuddering while in reverse. Trans shop in Detroit is a trusted facility, the issue was fixed and have had no issues until I changed the thermostat housing.

Following the thermostat housing replacement, I used the garden hose to spray off the engine to see if I succeeded in fixing the anti-freeze leak. No leaks, now comes the issue. When I started the engine and placed the shifter in Drive, the engine stalled, restart and placed in Drive, the engine stalled. I re-started the engine, turned off the OD and the engine stalled again. Tried to start again, this time, I pushed the 4x4 Low button, the engine did not stall and I was able to move forward. I shifted back to 4x4 Auto and drove with no issues.

When it rained, the stall issue returned, and driving on roads with puddles, the stall issue returned. I drove from Tennessee to Detroit last weekend, and back, with no issues the weather was dry there and back.

I suspect an electrical connection to the transmission got wet and caused the torque converter to remain locked-up causing the engine stall, this is just a guess.

Will leave my issue to the infinite wisdom of my fellow Explorer keyboard warriors for a solution. All replies are appreciated in advance.

Back