2008 Explorer transmission shifting issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer transmission shifting issues

Thanks... I only hear it when I'm stopping from +30 mph down to 0 in a short time.

If I ease the brake on the stop it doesn't happen or if I stop like a normal human being, it doesn't happen.

When I take it in for a pan drop and filter change soon (local independent transmission guy) will he know how to do this (is it a common repair/maintenance) or will he wing it and screw up something that he hasn't seen before....The mechanic is a good transmission guy (reputation is good in town) I don't want to insult his ability and ask if he's sure he can do it....if it is something very common.

It should be no different than any other shaft drive truck. You unbolt a U-joint so the one end of the drive shaft can be disconnected (transfer case end makes sense to me) then slide out the spin insert. Clean it and grease it with a bearing grease or likely better graphite grease. It should slide in and out easily. Then put it back together. I am not certain if balancing is an issue but marking the U-joint end as to which couple to the other side so it goes back the same would be all that's needed.

This is pretty much all that can load up with the pressure of stopping and braking. The axle end does not have moveable insert. Only the transfer case and transmission yokes are built to moving in/out due to slight changes in length. Its pretty easy to tell by looking at the entry point to see how its designed. I doubt leaving it alone will cause any problem just annoying at times.

I was googling for a pic of the yoke, some are referring to it as a slip yoke (it slips in and out) well a number of posts on this all around including this one here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106307

This PDF goes into detail. Also my suspicion about marking everything for the original position including the yoke splin is highly recommended.
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/frf/...aft-slip-yoke-ranger-explorer-tsb04-23-07.pdf

It should be no different than any other shaft drive truck. You unbolt a U-joint so the one end of the drive shaft can be disconnected (transfer case end makes sense to me) then slide out the spin insert. Clean it and grease it with a bearing grease or likely better graphite grease. It should slide in and out easily. Then put it back together. I am not certain if balancing is an issue but marking the U-joint end as to which couple to the other side so it goes back the same would be all that's needed.

This is pretty much all that can load up with the pressure of stopping and braking. The axle end does not have moveable insert. Only the transfer case and transmission yokes are built to moving in/out due to slight changes in length. Its pretty easy to tell by looking at the entry point to see how its designed. I doubt leaving it alone will cause any problem just annoying at times.

I was googling for a pic of the yoke, some are referring to it as a slip yoke (it slips in and out) well a number of posts on this all around including this one here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106307

This PDF goes into detail. Also my suspicion about marking everything for the original position including the yoke splin is highly recommended.
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/frf/...aft-slip-yoke-ranger-explorer-tsb04-23-07.pdf

Thanks for the help !

The bump on slowing just before a stop is 99% for the splin binding in the drive shaft. Pulling it at the transfer case and greasing it is the cure. Common enough on Jeeps as well which I drive. Being AWD it may not be the rear one but it usually is. Labour only no parts needed. Good luck
Ive had the bump before the stop on my 08 X, I assumed it was the trans also, upon further research I pulled the connector off of the transfer case control module and everything went back to perfect. ( minus 4wd of course ). its a quick thing to try. TCCMs are prone to go bad.

I'm having similar issues with my '07 EB v6 5R55S tranny. I've seen the Powertrain Wrench several times, but it is intermittent. I scanned my fault log and got P0741 -- Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off. vidmate insta save

Back