• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ford Explorer Unknown Noise

08exploder08

Reaction score
City, State
Fountain Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
Please Im asking for help from anyone who can let me know whats going on. Im on my 2nd explorer now and its making a weird metal tick/thump sound but there is no consistency with it. Maybe my pulleys? Please anyone, i have a video but dont know where to post. I will venmo/cashapp someone $10-$20 if they can help diagnose it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Does the noise seem to get faster or slower with the speed of the engine? I have found that the engine serpentine belt tensioner & idler pulleys go bad after time. If it does remove the serpentine belt & see if the noise is gone & check for looseness of the pulleys.

Welcome to the forum. Does the noise seem to get faster or slower with the speed of the engine? I have found that the engine serpentine belt tensioner & idler pulleys go bad after time. If it does remove the serpentine belt & see if the noise is gone & check for looseness of the pulleys.
Sweet, if it works i need your cashapp or venmo brother. It does change with speed but barely noticeable change.

Yes, remove the belt and see if the noise stops. That's a good way to narrow down the source of the noise. If it stops, check each pulley for noise, roughness or lateral play. Suspects are, as Mike suggested, the idlers, tensioner, water pump and a/c compressor. Knowing your mileage can help. I usually change idler pulleys at about 100,000 miles and just had a water pump bearing go bad at 140,000 on a V-8.

Just a thought here - I had a inconsistent ticking on my '06 that drove me nuts.

I finally determined that it stopped when the PCM commanded the fan clutch on. Diagnosis, faulty electronic fan clutch. See if yours does the same thing.

Tim

Back