2008 XLT power steering issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 XLT power steering issues

G-1911

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone-

I have a problem I am hoping you can help with. My 2008 2wd 4.0l XLT is having a strange power steering issue. When I start the truck and back out of my driveway it feels like I have no power steering. Within about ten seconds of putting the truck in reverse the "check charging system" warning comes on the dash. As long as it is on I have no power steering. That warning stays on for about 15-20 seconds and then goes away. As soon as it goes away power steering is restored.

I have checked my battery and it is good, it is also pretty new. The power steering fluid level is good. Based on another thread that seemed to have a similar issue I replaced the serpentine belt, the idler pulley and the belt tensioner. No changes at all to the issue.

My next step is to replace the power steering pump but I thought I would check to see if anyone had any input first. Thanks!

Well before you change the pump I would look into the check charging system warning. When the light is on does the engine sound like it is had a load on it?

The engine sounds like normal at idle. RPMs are steady and normal as well.

Back