2009 explorer radiator fan running at high speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 explorer radiator fan running at high speed

Chuck2009

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT
Hi everybody, I just replaced my radiator and now the fan comes on at odd times. 50 mph going down the road the fan comes on. What's going on? Thanks for the help Fixed it!!! Coolant was low by 2 quarts. Seems to be OK Thanks

V6, V8?

I was having some issues, ended up bleeding the coolant about 47,591 times to no effect. Put a new water pump on, no change. New fan clutch, fixed it for about 45 minutes. New coolant, no change. New t stat, no change.

Finally did some research, put a CHT sensor in and now it's fine. Fan runs hard if the AC is on and I've been driving it hard or it's really hot like it has been lately here.

The sensor I refer to is under the intake, on the passenger side head. The intake is a bit of a pain in the ass to take off, but the sensor is easy to get out once the intake is lifted up about 6-8 inches.

You might also disconnect your Pos batt cable for a bit afterwards, pump the brake pedal 4-5 times to clear the PCM...(unless this trick doesn't work on 4th gens like it does older ford stuff...?)

V6, V8?

I was having some issues, ended up bleeding the coolant about 47,591 times to no effect. Put a new water pump on, no change. New fan clutch, fixed it for about 45 minutes. New coolant, no change. New t stat, no change.

Finally did some research, put a CHT sensor in and now it's fine. Fan runs hard if the AC is on and I've been driving it hard or it's really hot like it has been lately here.

The sensor I refer to is under the intake, on the passenger side head. The intake is a bit of a pain in the ass to take off, but the sensor is easy to get out once the intake is lifted up about 6-8 inches.

You might also disconnect your Pos batt cable for a bit afterwards, pump the brake pedal 4-5 times to clear the PCM...(unless this trick doesn't work on 4th gens like it does older ford stuff...?)
The fan was OK yesterday after I topped off the coolant. Thanks for the help, If it acts up again I'll check that.

Back