• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2009 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
YouTube is a wealth of information on any number of vehicle repairs. Try there for a good "how-to" video.

loooney2ns

Reaction score
City, State
LONG ISLAND, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 EXPLORER LTD 4.6L
If you're asking, it's probably a job best left to the pros. It's a big job, and if done wrong, you could destroy the engine. If you attempt it, make sure you follow the torque specs EXACTLY!

Rod Robertson

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT V8 4WD
Callsign
Ruddy
I changed out the cracked head on this motor's little cousin, the 2.9L V6 in my '89 Bronco II. After it was all done I wished I would have just pulled the motor out first!

loooney2ns

Reaction score
City, State
LONG ISLAND, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 EXPLORER LTD 4.6L
I did the same on my BroncoII. Took off the heads to change a bad lifter and the cam. At that point, I just took out the short block and had it rebuilt.

stephencbrinson

Reaction score
City, State
Hollywood, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Explorer EB
A head gasket is not a small task. You may be up for it. I 2nd checking on youtube. Even if you do not find the same vehicle, watch a video of a similar repair to get an idea. Check out ALLDATADIY.com for technical repair manuals by vehicle. It cost $29 per year but will be worth it for this repair.

How do you change a head gasket on a 2009 Ford Explorer

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Richard -

Not to sound like an a..hole :),but....
Head gasket replacement on 4.0 is not as easy as on other motors. Would you do just one side ? Which one ?
You will need to redo the timing and I am not an expert on the 4.0s but you may need to pull the engine out if doing the passenger side.
Hope others will chime in, but besides the torqe specs, new head bolts, you would also need to clean and resurface ??? the heads and block.