2009 Limited V6 Fuel Pump issues

johnnycobra

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer Limited
sorry to write a book on my first post.

I have a 2009 Explorer Limited V6, 2WD with 101,000 miles that has been wonderful up until recently.
Prior to 3-4 months ago, the only repairs have been oil changes, tires, brakes and a plastic thermostat housing separating about two years ago.

In the last three months, the plastic thermostat housing separated again, radiator started leaking and had to be replaced, and the fuel pump has stopped twice, each time revived with a whack to the tank.

I ordered a fuel pump that seemed to get good reviews from Rock Auto and was listed as a fit- the CARTER P76118M.
Well, it went on ok, but i found it odd that the gasket provided was not a thick rubber o-ring, but a much thinner, squared o ring. Also, the sending unit had a little different design and the float was on a slightly longer wire, but generally sat the same as the original pump. Chalked it up to improved design and moved on.

After installation of the new pump, I put 11 gallons of gas in and the tank read 1/4 full. with 76 miles remaining according to the computer. That was weird.
I figured the "longer" float arrangement was getting hung up, so i drove 80 miles and noticed that the gas gauge seemed to go down, as if 1/4 tank was full, and it was decreasing from their normally.
After about 80 miles, the computer and gauge said i was out of gas. however, I did have 4+ gallons of gas left when i went to drop the tank again.

I figured that the sending unit was set for something other than the voltage that my 2009 needed, and thought i could just swap on my old sender. Pulled the new pump and no such luck. it won't attach to the new pump physically, and the wiring connector is different inside the pump assembly.
Went to autozone, oreilley, and advance auto, and there is a pre 1/19/2009 pump and a post 1/20/2009 pump in the spectra brand, but delphi doesn't have this distinction. only two pumps were in stock and each one either had the wrong sender or fuel sock/filter

I have a delphi part for a 2010 Explorer on order - because the picture looks like the sending unit that i have, and one of the pumps that was in stock was the delphi pump for 2009 explorer with the "wrong" looking sending unit same as my carter pump had.

anyone run into 2 different sending unit designs and voltage ranges on ~2009 explorers? or is it possible the carter was just messed up?

I found a pump at autozone with the correct looking sending unit and o-ring, but it had a super tiny pickup sock/filter that was unlike the ones on all the other units. should i have just gotten that one? It may have been a "post 1/20/2009" pump, I just can't remember. Maybe that tiny sock/filter doesn't matter? but it is just a small 3"X3" square instead of the cloverleaf looking pickup that the other pumps had, so i chickened out.

So i ended up getting the delphi FG0874 fuel pump that both Rock Auto and Autozone said would fit. The sending unit looks just like the OEM pump sending unit, so that was promising. HOWEVER the tiny sock filter gave me concern. after install, i went to put gas in the tank and sadly i could only get maybe a 1/2 gallon in before the gas pump cut off. It turns out that i failed to reroute the vent line properly on top of the tank. so....i dropped it one more time and rerouted. Success. However the fuel gauge looks to read correctly - but the dash shows ~30 more miles to empty than I felt it should.

Fast forward a few days, I was down to just about 1/8 tank gas and took a hard right turn. Engine dies.
Added 5 gallons of gas to get to 1/3 full, and still dies when taking hard turns.....

What a nightmare this has turned out to be. My wife thinks we should just trade it in.
I am actually wondering if the tiny pickup filter is to blame, or I have a bad pump?

What would you suggest - just go to the dealer and buy a pump and see if autozone will take the pump i have back? This will be the third time I have fully dropped the tank - I am getting pretty good at this, I guess.

Back