2010 explorer..i have class 2 hitch, will i gain anything by adding class 3? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 explorer..i have class 2 hitch, will i gain anything by adding class 3?

yankeeslover

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ford explorer EB
2010 eddie baurer edition 4x4 6 cyl..as my previous thread states im buying a popup camper that weighs around 2700 pounds. I currently have the stock class 2 hitch. I am having a local 4x4 shop add on a tranny cooler for me for $150.00 which is parts and labor. the rv shop also states they can put on a class 3 hitch for me when they put on my brake controller. what will adding a class 3 hitch do that my class 2 cant? the existing setup is rated at most for 3500 pounds. will the class 3 bump that up? what is more important in my setup, adding the new hitch or the tranny cooler? I am 100% adding the tranny cooler and brake controller and 7 pin, but torn on the class 3 hitch. im not sure if the class 3 hitch will up my towing capacity? the gcwr currently is 8500 pounds. does the class 3 change that? and also, the rv shop says they will mount the new hitch under my old one, what happens then with the spare tire? wont that get in the way of the new hitch? or does the tire just go on after the hitch? once again the trailer is around 2700 pounds. I know I will probably be ok with my current setup but much rather be safe and add tranny cooler for that cheap price, just not sure if I gain any at all upgrading to a new hitch..thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The class 3 will take you to 5000 lbs. total on the trailer weight, but honestly you need the 3.73 gearing with the 4.0 to make towing the heavier loads up inclines easier on the engine. Interesting that your explorer didn't already have a transmission cooler since I thought that all 4x4 models came with them.
As far as how the RV shop would install the trailer hitch makes no sense to me at all. If it were me and I was going to switch to the class 3, I would use the OEM class 3 hitch since it is designed to fit around the spare tire and completely remove the class 2.
Honestly, for what you are proposing to do with the vehicle, you have nothing to gain from the upgraded hitch.

Here is a link for your Ford trailer towing guide:
http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvEXPLORERsep09.pdf

Thanks, I think the explorer does have a tranny cooler but I heard I should get another bigger one.. on the 2010 the oem hitch is welded to the frame I believe so it will take a bunch to take it off complety so I have heard others say to put it directly underneath. and I agree, I am not sure I will gain much by going with class 3 with the 3.55 gearing. just hoping that the brake controller and the extra tranny cooler will get me by. I just purchased this explorer with 40,000 miles on it two months ago so trading in is out of question. and I cant really go much smaller for my popup as I really need the 12 foot box.. I have never had a popup before but know others that have.. and they are pulling them with cars much smaller then my explorer and are all telling me im worrying about nothing as far as a popup since its not a travel trailer im pulling and has a low profile.. but I rather worry, and make sure everything is correct....

You can not swap the class OEM 2 for class 3 OEM. The factory hitches are welded with the frame. The aftermarket 3 has to mount under the class 2 but the spare tire still comes thru.
I know that Ford has the class 3 replacement part in case you were rear ended. They cut out the old one and they BOLT the new one. That would be the only way to make it look original.
If you swap the gears, then you gain towing capacity.

so, just adding the class 3 will not benefit me as far as tow capacity? I figured it wouldn't. with that said, my popup will weight around 2700 pounds, I figure 3000 with supplys to be on safe side. I am adding the extra tranny cooler to go with the tranny cooler that comes stock and also adding a brake controller. am I looking into this to much? I am rated to tow 3500 pounds as is. I know I have to subtract my weight and the weight of others, but I figure I will be right skirting that 3500 pound limit. im not asking if im gonna ruin the truck as no one knows and it is only a popup so its not as high as a camper trailer, I just want to know if im close to that 3500 pounds if adding the brakes will help me safety wise? im adding the extra cooler to help with the strain on the tranny. I also don't plan on camping every weekend, I will probably only tow it a max 5 or 6 times per year so its not like its an every weekend type deal.. but like I said I just purchased this used with 40,000 miles and I need it to last me another 4 years before I trade it in...

Yankeeslover, safety wise you will be fine with all the upgrades you are doing.

Explorer PL, good to know how the dealership would make the repair.

Typical tow package consists of: tranny cooler, hitch, 7 pin harness, and proper gears.
For your 3k pop up, you were good to start with. By adding the cooler you made things even better, and prolonged the life of the tranny. Just do the tranny service once a year after the season and you'll be just fine.

The class 2 hitch is good enough for you. I know it looks kind of small, but believe me steel is a very strong material - that's from my civil engineering background, when we were testing steel members in the lab.

Just to give you an idea, a typical "construction" steel has a tensile strength of 36,000 lbs per square inch (36k psi). It means that you can hang 36,000 lbs on a steel cable with a cross section of 1 sq in. In the weakest part of the hitch, there is more steel than that. Of course there are different types of stress during towing, but there was a team of people designing that hitch who were smarter than me, you :) and many more people taken together. And they took that hitch thru bunch of tests way exceeding 3,000 lbs.

Good luck, and enjoy the camping.

As stated in your other post, you need to upgrade the gearing to stay within your limits. No way will that camper be delivered to you at it's 2700-ish "dry weight". That does not include any factory or dealer options. And that's before you put any food, clothes, chairs, gear, coolers, etc, etc, etc. Minimum standard is 600 lbs over dry weight. 800 is more likely. My 2004 Coleman Mesa was 2300 lbs dry, and came in right around 3000 loaded.

But to answer your question, the Class 3 hitch would only benefit if you were going beyond 3500 lbs and/or wanted to use a weight-distributing hitch. Sticking to under 3500 lbs, the class 2 hitch is fine.

But you will be overloaded. In addition to the trans cooler, wiring, and brake controller, you need to upgrade the axle gearing to 3.73 to protect the longevity of the drivetrain. If that's not an option, find a smaller camper, or stick to tenting for now.

Back