2010 Explorer Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer Sport Trac

are you 4x4? and have you recently reset your mpg calculator...cause I would love to know how in the world you're getting that kinda mileage. I average 13 in the city and 17-18 on the highway...and I promise I don't drive it hard, I usually stay below 3k rpm's.
I am getting 18 city and 22 freeway right now. V8 and 4x4.
I live on pretty flat country right here. Up at the cabin I will get less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you 4x4? and have you recently reset your mpg calculator...cause I would love to know how in the world you're getting that kinda mileage. I average 13 in the city and 17-18 on the highway...and I promise I don't drive it hard, I usually stay below 3k rpm's.

I think the 6 speed tranny is likely making a big difference, I have reset it but at only 3000 miles and now have 5000.

And I bet the tach is under 3000 much of the time.

Its a 4X2 and much of my driving is at or under 65 and at or over 40. I drive 35 miles one way to work. HiWay @ 65 is around 22-23 mpg, @ 80 its in the upper teens and I've not really gauged the city driving average.

Oh and I have gassed it a bit, I love that V8!

I guess I need mine to break in. I only have about 200 miles on it primarily city, but that is averaging arounf 13-14 and when I reset on the high way I was arround 18 at 80mph. Will let it break in. All this talk about $5/gallon gas a few days after I bought the truck has me wondering if I should have bought the EcoBoost Titanium Flex instead...

I guess I need mine to break in. I only have about 200 miles on it primarily city, but that is averaging arounf 13-14 and when I reset on the high way I was arround 18 at 80mph. Will let it break in. All this talk about $5/gallon gas a few days after I bought the truck has me wondering if I should have bought the EcoBoost Titanium Flex instead...

I hear ya! I traded a 2003 Excursion in August, 5.3L gas motor, that averaged 13.5. But the reason wasnt because of fuel prices, gas was at or over $3 per gal when I bought it. When it got to $4.50~ it was a bit painful to fill that 44 gal tank :eek:

,,,,...and I promise I don't drive it hard, I usually stay below 3k rpm's.

I was running around on errands today and thought of this post. I never went over 2k all day.

wow, I'm gonna try that and keep it real low rpm's. Have you done anything to your truck (ie: CAI, exhaust, programmer)? Also, are you running factory sized tires?

I posted on the gas mileage subject a while back, referring to my 08 STA, 4.6 ,2 wheel drive. The modifications are as follows, 275/55R 20 Michelins(makes for a higher gear ratio, seems like when I calculated it was around 3.25-3.31 with the oversized tires. Gibson exhaust,K&N CAI, and a ZabTech throttle body. Also the speedo was corrected for the oversized tires.
The vehicle averages 21-23 in town as long as I don't get hung up in traffic with a lot of idleing time. Then the mileage drops drastically.
On the road,running 65 to 70 it has averaged as high as 26.5 or a little better depending on weather etc. My last trip to Ohio from Ga. averaged 24 going north and almost 27 till I hit the mountains,headed home.Then it dropped back down. I don't use the cruise control unless it is flat road driving, too many downshifts.
A lot of folks say the throttle body did not increase their mileage or power. In my case, it did increase the mileage by about 1.5 to 2 mpg. Power was noticeable but not drastic.
I did calculate the mileage as well as use the on board readout.Both results were close.

wow, I'm gonna try that and keep it real low rpm's. Have you done anything to your truck (ie: CAI, exhaust, programmer)? Also, are you running factory sized tires?
No improvements and stock tires so far. Look to changing them out and getting bigger. I have 29K miles and the tires look like they will last 10k more.

Even more reason for me to change my tires. I was a little ticked with myself when i got the 265/50R20 Nitto's. I knew the 285s would not fit, but didn't really look at the 275s. Do you have any rub issues or anything?

GreenMando, I'm running 265/70r16 on mine and that may be the reason my mileage is hurting, here's a link to my review on the General Grabber AT2 tires...
http://www.sporttracclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=840

...and btw I've been tryin to keep below 2k rpm and that is HARD! leaving stop lights and signs is much slower so I've been tryin to keep below 2.5k rpm to see if it makes a difference

There were some initial rub issues with the plastic wheel well liners. They had to be heated with a heat gun and reformed in a couple of places. As long as you don't get it too hot, it is not noticeable at all. On the rear, the wheel liner needs to be removed to expose the forward portion of the composite pickup bed. You will see a screw which attaches the forward portion of the liner which will be the MAIN point of concern. There you will have to remove an inch or 2 of the composite and refit the attaching point of the liner(move it up). Don't take out too much. The liner will stabilze the front lower portion of the fender. Once that is done, replace the liner and heat the forward portion of the liner pushing it forward. Again don't get it too hot. That should do it. Also if I remember correctly, I posted a step by step many months ago. You may be able to research the threads. The Michelins are 32" tires and I used the stock adrenalin rims. I tried 33" Michelins initially and they worked, but without a 1" lift in the front, it was just too much. I didn't particularly want to modify the suspension.

Back