2010 sport trac shifts to reverse but slips under power. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 sport trac shifts to reverse but slips under power.

Chris A.

Reaction score
City, State
Ironwood, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all,

Recently my '10 sport trac (the 4.0l engine) started acting up when in reverse. It shifts into gear fine and it rolls backward in gear fine (on flat ground when I release the brake it begins rolling backward like it's in gear) but when I try to give it any gas it slips and doesn't provide any power, almost like it does when the traction control comes on and cuts power to the wheels when that system engages. I'm really hoping someone knows something that I can try before having to replace the transmission out right. All the forward gears work fine without any unusual noises or shifting problems that I can tell. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

With the 4.0 you should have the 5R55S transmission, this transmission is known for reverse problems. Most of the time it has to do with the low/reverse band, its either the band is broken or the band material has come off.

Only thing to check before having to pull it out is the servo that controls the band, you can get to it when you remove the pan. I rarely see any issues with this servo so dont get to excited but you should be able to check the band at this point just to see if it might be broken.

The main question I have is would it be a better idea to do a rebuild kit with the band and everything else or just replace the transmission once all is said and done. I dont really have the tools or the know how to do it myself and be confident in my work.

If you are unable to rebuild the transmission yourself I would recommend a transmission shop that can rebuild it with all the updates this transmission needs to work like it should and gives you a good warranty.

Back