2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repeated steering failures even after dealer repairs

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT FWD and have experienced the power steering failure more than 4 times now. The first time, I was in the middle of a turn when the power steering and advancetrac failure lights came on. I narrowly missed hitting a pole and managed to muscle the car to the side of the road. I turned the car off and then on again and the power steering returned. I immediately called the dealership and let them know I was coming in to drop it off. The power steering failed two more times on the way to the dealership. I was able to restore steering each time by turning off and on again. The car was at the dealership for a week and they "repaired" the car under warranty. At first, I was under the impression that they replaced the entire steering rack, but it would appear that they only replaced the steering gear. I don't have the work order on me to refer to part numbers because the car is again at the dealership. About a week after getting the car back, the same thing happened again while my wife was driving the car and in the middle of a U-turn. She somehow managed to get the car to the side of the road and turned it off. She refused to drive it and got a can home. When I went to get the car, the steering immediately failed upon start up and would not come back after repeated restarts. I called Ford's roadside assistance and waited a full 3 hours for a tow to the dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and apparently replaced the same parts again at the recommendation of Ford's engineering dept. This past weekend, only 1 day after getting the car back, I had parked the car to go to Starbucks and when I came back to the car and started it up, the power steering failure recurred along with the service Advancetrac message. Once again, power cycling the car did not bring back the steering. Since I wasn't too far from the dealership, I drove the car there without power steering and with great effort. I was exhausted by the time I got there.

I have lost all confidence that they know what the actual source of the problem is or how to fix it. If anyone has had this problem and their dealership was able to fix the problem permanently, please let me know what they did and what parts they used. I would like to show this to my service manager.

We do not have a lemon law in Canada, so I would end up taking a bath on the value of the car. I don't want to have to buy a different new car given that this thing is only 2 years old and only has 30km on it. The reason I bought a new car in the first place was so that I would have a reliable and safe car for myself and my family.

I am extremely frustrated at this point and don't know what the next step(s) should be.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT FWD and have experienced the power steering failure more than 4 times now. The first time, I was in the middle of a turn when the power steering and advancetrac failure lights came on. I narrowly missed hitting a pole and managed to muscle the car to the side of the road. I turned the car off and then on again and the power steering returned. I immediately called the dealership and let them know I was coming in to drop it off. The power steering failed two more times on the way to the dealership. I was able to restore steering each time by turning off and on again. The car was at the dealership for a week and they "repaired" the car under warranty. At first, I was under the impression that they replaced the entire steering rack, but it would appear that they only replaced the steering gear. I don't have the work order on me to refer to part numbers because the car is again at the dealership. About a week after getting the car back, the same thing happened again while my wife was driving the car and in the middle of a U-turn. She somehow managed to get the car to the side of the road and turned it off. She refused to drive it and got a can home. When I went to get the car, the steering immediately failed upon start up and would not come back after repeated restarts. I called Ford's roadside assistance and waited a full 3 hours for a tow to the dealership. They kept the car for almost a week and apparently replaced the same parts again at the recommendation of Ford's engineering dept. This past weekend, only 1 day after getting the car back, I had parked the car to go to Starbucks and when I came back to the car and started it up, the power steering failure recurred along with the service Advancetrac message. Once again, power cycling the car did not bring back the steering. Since I wasn't too far from the dealership, I drove the car there without power steering and with great effort. I was exhausted by the time I got there.

I have lost all confidence that they know what the actual source of the problem is or how to fix it. If anyone has had this problem and their dealership was able to fix the problem permanently, please let me know what they did and what parts they used. I would like to show this to my service manager.

We do not have a lemon law in Canada, so I would end up taking a bath on the value of the car. I don't want to have to buy a different new car given that this thing is only 2 years old and only has 30km on it. The reason I bought a new car in the first place was so that I would have a reliable and safe car for myself and my family.

I am extremely frustrated at this point and don't know what the next step(s) should be.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum pjah.:wavey:
From what I've read here, the entire steering rack should be replaced. I believe only 1 or 2 members have had a recurring failure after that but in most cases it has 'fixed' the problem.
I suggest that you send a private message (PM) to Bianca (FordServiceCA). She is one of the Ford reps that monitors this forum. Include your name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership in your message.
You can also use this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337

Peter

Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you know what specific part numbers are associated with replacing the entire steering rack? Is the "rack" different than the steering gear assembly?
I am already dealing with one of the people who monitor the FordServiceCA twitter account and they have been dealing with my dealership, mainly to make sure I have a rental car.
I should point out that everyone I have dealt with - at the dealership and via Twitter - has been very helpful, accommodating and sympathetic. What I really want, though, is for the problem, which I consider to be a safety issue, to be resolved permanently.

Thx.

Not sure if anyone on here can post there part numbers. Any warranty or repair will list the part number on it. As Peter said, the she steering rack has to be replaced as the EPA's system is part of the whole rack.

This is a first in regards to a dealer replacing part of a rack that I've read unless the terminology is getting mixed up between you and the dealer. If it has happened again after 2 replacements, my gut says they are not replacing the whole unit.

Not sure if anyone on here can post there part numbers. Any warranty or repair will list the part number on it. As Peter said, the she steering rack has to be replaced as the EPA's system is part of the whole rack.

This is a first in regards to a dealer replacing part of a rack that I've read unless the terminology is getting mixed up between you and the dealer. If it has happened again after 2 replacements, my gut says they are not replacing the whole unit.

OK, so I just remembered that I had taken a photo of the work order for my records. Here is what they say they did the first time it was in for a week:

Here's a photo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2480639/ford.jpg

A ELECTRICAL CHECK AND REPORT ON STEERING WENT OUT AVANCETRACKL LIGHT CAME ON WAS TAKING A RIGHT TURN STOPPED SHUT OFF VEHICLE STARTED AGAIN A FEW MINUTES WAS DRIVING STRAIGHT ABOUT 10 MINUTES LATER POWER STEERING WENT OUT AGAIN

CAUSE: .
3504E DIAG/REPLACE STEERING GEAR/CHECK ALIGNMENT/CORRECT FRONT TOE
9485 WF 2.80 (N/C)
1 STE*59* GEAR ASY - STEERING (N/C)
CORE CHARGE W (N/C)
PARTS: 0.00
LABOR: 0.00
OTHER: 0.00
TOTAL LINE A: 0.00

I did a search on one of the ford parts sites. They sell all parts at 10% over cost. If you click the link, it will show you a picture of the assembly. Based on what it says on the right, it calls it a steering gear so it seems that is indeed what they replaced. Your paperwork doesn't list a part number. Not sure why, every work order I've received has always had a part number for each item fixed. Although the description matches, hard to confirm without the part number.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...EERING GEAR & LINKAGE&component=STEERING GEAR

Update

OK, so I just remembered that I had taken a photo of the work order for my records. Here is what they say they did the first time it was in for a week:

Here's a photo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2480639/ford.jpg

A ELECTRICAL CHECK AND REPORT ON STEERING WENT OUT AVANCETRACKL LIGHT CAME ON WAS TAKING A RIGHT TURN STOPPED SHUT OFF VEHICLE STARTED AGAIN A FEW MINUTES WAS DRIVING STRAIGHT ABOUT 10 MINUTES LATER POWER STEERING WENT OUT AGAIN

CAUSE: .
3504E DIAG/REPLACE STEERING GEAR/CHECK ALIGNMENT/CORRECT FRONT TOE
9485 WF 2.80 (N/C)
1 STE*59* GEAR ASY - STEERING (N/C)
CORE CHARGE W (N/C)
PARTS: 0.00
LABOR: 0.00
OTHER: 0.00
TOTAL LINE A: 0.00

So, the car has been in the shop (for the 3rd time) since Saturday. I got a call from them today asking about a USB cable for my iPhone 5S that I had installed that goes from the USB port and is routed (surface mounted using zip ties) under the steering column and up the left side of the dash to a suction cup attached phone holder. They wondered if the steering issue coincided with when I put that in. I said that the problem definitely pre-dates that and that it's just a USB cable for my iPhone.

This leads me to believe that there are two possibilities:

1) they have absolutely no clue what the root cause of the steering failures is and they are grasping at straws

or

2) that the Explorer's EPAS steering system is so sensitive that an iPhone 5S connected via USB cable running along the underside of the dash to the USB port in their MyFord Touch/Sync system can cause the power steering to fail.

Either way, this is not good news and does not fill me with confidence!

It's definitely not the second one.

IF they wanted to prove that theory, they can easily UNPLUG the cable from the usb port which obviously kill all power through the cable to see if it fixes the problem.

For a tech to actually think an Ipod cable would cause a loss of power steering... What a bunch of schmucks!!!

Sounds to me like they just don't want to deal with you so they find whatever excuse they can to not deal with it. This is sadly just the way a lot of dealers operate. Good luck with it.

Another update

IF they wanted to prove that theory, they can easily UNPLUG the cable from the usb port which obviously kill all power through the cable to see if it fixes the problem.

For a tech to actually think an Ipod cable would cause a loss of power steering... What a bunch of schmucks!!!

I had a long conversation with the service tech just now and he acknowledges that it's a bit of a crazy theory. It was not their idea - it was one of Ford's engineers who asked if there was anything that might cause RF interference near the steering module.

However he said that he has been driving it around alot waiting for the steering to fail and it hasn't. He said that he then brought in his wife's iPhone 5 and plugged it into the cable and the steering failed, so they removed the cable. He acknowledges that it could well be a coincidence. Again, I mentioned that the steering has failed on a couple of occasions before I even bought my iPhone 5S and installed the cable. Previous to that, I was using a short USB cable attached to an iPhone 4S that was either kept in the cup holder or in the compartment where the USB connections are located.

Anyway, it's an interesting theory and I thought you guys might like to try re-producing it yourselves (at your own risk, of course!). ;-)

..P

I had a long conversation with the service tech just now and he acknowledges that it's a bit of a crazy theory. It was not their idea - it was one of Ford's engineers who asked if there was anything that might cause RF interference near the steering module.

However he said that he has been driving it around alot waiting for the steering to fail and it hasn't. He said that he then brought in his wife's iPhone 5 and plugged it into the cable and the steering failed, so they removed the cable. He acknowledges that it could well be a coincidence. Again, I mentioned that the steering has failed on a couple of occasions before I even bought my iPhone 5S and installed the cable. Previous to that, I was using a short USB cable attached to an iPhone 4S that was either kept in the cup holder or in the compartment where the USB connections are located.

Anyway, it's an interesting theory and I thought you guys might like to try re-producing it yourselves (at your own risk, of course!). ;-)

..P

I don't think that should have anything to do with it unless Ford is actually dumb enough to have the same computer of MFT be linked to a computer for the steering or even have any wiring be connected between the two. If you got your steering replaced twice. Always check the computer. Buggy coding, and what not.

Power steering fail

I would say it's entirely possible. If I remember right, the steering on the 2011 Ex is all electronic. There is no power steering pump, etc involved as on cars of old. One little electronic/computer glitch and the steering is gone. I will take glitches in MFT all day long, but the fact that the steering is all electronic still makes me nervous. You are exactly right, past cars with power steering pumps and all you would still be able to steer if the pump failed, it would just be more difficult to turn the wheel. If the electronics that run the Ex's steering go haywire, potentially all ability to steer the car is gone possibly resulting in disaster. I love my Ex, but there is no doubt some of the new technology is kind of scary.

This is possible as I experienced it today. Only I was driving 65 on interstate 95. I was terrified as I lost all ability to steer. As I sit here and wait for a tow truck, I am very angry with Ford for not notifying me of such an issue. I'm thankful to be okay and even more thankfully children were not in tow. From the sounds of it, a fix had not yet been determined. That being the case, I will likely start car shopping this weekend. I loved my Explorer but do not feel safe putting my kids in this car.

Just to update my situation, I got the car back last Friday after having it at the dealership for another 2 weeks. So far, so good. I do notice that the steering feel seems different than before. Maybe I'm imagining it, but now feels a bit stiffer and more responsive. Previously, it was quite loose and lacked resistance.

I haven't tried connecting my iPhone 5S to the USB cable yet - I'm too scared. ;-)
I'm going to drive it for another week or so first before I start re-introducing factors that may or may not have contributed to the steering failure.

Anyway, I once again have to compliment Donway Ford in Toronto for treating me very well throughout. They provided me with a full size rental vehicle (Ford Flex), detailed my car inside and out for free and gave me a free oil and filter change. Thanks Alex!

I love my Explorer and I really want to believe that the problem has been permanently fixed.

..P

This is possible as I experienced it today. Only I was driving 65 on interstate 95. I was terrified as I lost all ability to steer. As I sit here and wait for a tow truck, I am very angry with Ford for not notifying me of such an issue. I'm thankful to be okay and even more thankfully children were not in tow. From the sounds of it, a fix had not yet been determined. That being the case, I will likely start car shopping this weekend. I loved my Explorer but do not feel safe putting my kids in this car.
Welcome to the Forum Emetz.:wavey:
The reason Ford didn't advise you of the problem is because they don't consider it an issue. If you go back through the thread, you will see a reply to the NHTSA inquiry into this reported problem and Ford's answer was that it isn't a 'safety' issue because you can still steer the vehicle. Many who have experienced this failure would strongly disagree with that statement. This issue along with the 'exhaust smell' and water leak have been around since the 2011 model came out and they still exist on some 2014's.
Good luck.

Peter

Uh... doesn't the electric power steering only provide assistance? It's the same as if a traditional pump goes awry in that you only loose assist. You should still be able to steer the vehicle (albeit with a lot more effort).

Uh... doesn't the electric power steering only provide assistance? It's the same as if a traditional pump goes awry in that you only loose assist. You should still be able to steer the vehicle (albeit with a lot more effort).

Yes but the problem is MOST people have never done it before. It appears to happen so suddenly that the fear would be inability to compensate quickly. In traffic at speed it could get ugly quickly, especially with no warning. I've driven cars without power assist (early 80's Porsche) and it was and absolute bear at low speeds until you got used to it - at speed it was great, but Porsche designed it this way. I doubt any Ford would be so forgiving.

I'm not giving Ford a pass on this one - if it happens to me, it's gone and they've lost a customer forever. IMO there's enough evidence out there to suggest that this is a real issue that should be addressed in some way.

This is possible as I experienced it today. Only I was driving 65 on interstate 95. I was terrified as I lost all ability to steer...

Hi Emetz,

I want to do what I can to help. Send me your information via PM (name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership) so I can check out some options to assist.

Crystal

Well for the 5 time my 2011 Ford explorer is back at the dealer, Yesterday my power steering completely died and they need to replace the power steering assisnt moduale for a second time, as well they have replaced some harnness and the entire steering colum in the past. With only 3000KM left on my warranty i am not feeling so great about this less then 2 1/2 year old explorer. This will be the second time it has sat at the dealer for a week while they repair it.

Cant wait for the fight with ford when it happens for a 3rd time right after my warranty expires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well for the 5 time my 2011 Ford explorer is back at the dealer, Yesterday my power steering completely died and they need to replace the power steering assisnt moduale for a second time, as well they have replaced some harnness and the entire steering colum in the past. With only 3000KM left on my warranty i am not feeling so great about this less then 2 1/2 year old explorer. This will be the second time it has sat at the dealer for a week while they repair it.

Cant wait for the fight with ford when it happens for a 3rd time right after my warranty expires.
You do have the option of taking out an extended warranty. I didn't drive off the lot without one.

Peter

Back