2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 52 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not sure exactly what the "controller' is but what need top be replaced is the entire steering rack as has been mentioned here several times. They likely just did the software update initially which has been proven to not fix the issue.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM481732/RCMN-14V286-6751.pdf

Peter

Taking in the vehicle today. I did call yesterday and ask them if they would be able to replace the rack today. I made the service writer check to see if the rack was available locally. Nope. They are at a national parts depot and take 3 days to arrive. So - looks like this will be at least a two tripper.

I'm hoping since I received a "power steering failure" message, it left a code behind for them to see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm hoping since I received a "power steering failure" message, it left a code behind for them to see.

So the dealership told me they didn't get one of the codes Ford expects to see when the steering unit fails, but they did get a failure code associated with the parking assist failing. Only problem? I don't have parking assist.

The dealer feels they have reason to replace it - so do I. I very clearly described how the unit totally failed and it's documented on the work order. So hopefully, whoever at Ford needs to approve this will without more argument. Arguing is what's not needed about a part that can cause a catastrophic accident if it fails while the vehicle is in motion.

More to come.

I hope they cover it for you.. if Ford denies it (very possible since it isn't showing the recall failure.. which means something else is wrong with it and it would be a one off failure that we haven't seen), talk to your dealer about a goodwill repair. Ford gives dealerships money to "comp" repairs at the dealer's discretion. I believe they get a lump some twice a year to take care of customers.

I hope they cover it for you.. if Ford denies it (very possible since it isn't showing the recall failure.. which means something else is wrong with it and it would be a one off failure that we haven't seen), talk to your dealer about a goodwill repair. Ford gives dealerships money to "comp" repairs at the dealer's discretion. I believe they get a lump some twice a year to take care of customers.

The dealer is still arguing with Ford. This is clearly the power rack failure. I don't have the parking assist, so there is no way the other code is correct.

As far as I'm concerned, Ford (the manufacturer) is on notice. If they don't want to replace it now, so be it. When it does, and it will, if I'm in an accident, they will be paying a lot more than the cost of a steering rack.

The dealer is still arguing with Ford. This is clearly the power rack failure. I don't have the parking assist, so there is no way the other code is correct.

Got a message from the service advisor late on Friday afternoon. He said Ford has provided them with some protocol or another to prove the rack is a problem. He wasn't in when I returned the call, so I'll be calling him back tomorrow.

Got a message from the service advisor late on Friday afternoon. He said Ford has provided them with some protocol or another to prove the rack is a problem. He wasn't in when I returned the call, so I'll be calling him back tomorrow.

I'm curious to know what's happened with your situation. I need to figure out my next step.

I have been getting the "can't detect the code" runaround from my local dealer and they don't seem interested in budging at all on the code requirement. On top of that their customer service has been terrible. I just got off the phone with the dealer's service manager, after sending him a very irritated email yesterday, and he offered me nothing other than, "we need to see the code." I'm completely frustrated with both the dealership and with Ford's apparent efforts to do as few of these steering rack replacements as possible. I suppose I understand that from a business perspective but I'll be pissed if it takes an accident to get this fixed.

I'm curious to know what's happened with your situation. I need to figure out my next step.

Sorry, I meant to come back and post.

I was given the opportunity to spend $300 to have the dealer run a series of tests that might prove nothing.

After sending a message to the Ford rep on this site, I was hooked up with a call from a customer service rep who did, well, nothing. All I got was a call telling me they could not influence the technical process and given the confusing code issues, the Ford technical folks would do nothing.

So I told the nice lady that Ford was on notice that I have had problems, and if I had a further incident, and god forbid an accident, they would certainly hear about it.

Sorry, I meant to come back and post.

I was given the opportunity to spend $300 to have the dealer run a series of tests that might prove nothing.

After sending a message to the Ford rep on this site, I was hooked up with a call from a customer service rep who did, well, nothing. All I got was a call telling me they could not influence the technical process and given the confusing code issues, the Ford technical folks would do nothing.

So I told the nice lady that Ford was on notice that I have had problems, and if I had a further incident, and god forbid an accident, they would certainly hear about it.

I'm not surprised. I've been assuming that's where I'm going. Thanks for the update.

Hello All,

Yesterday my wife started her 2011 Explorer and she received a Terrain Management Fault. The car was driving OK so she kept driving. She made a stop and when she restarted the vehicle it said Service Power Steering and Advanctrak fault. Now there is no power steering.

I started the car this morning to take to the dealership and it had no power steering with the same fault messages. Is this the type of issue that would be covered by the recall. I initially had the ECU reprogrammed during one of the oil changes.

Hello All,

Yesterday my wife started her 2011 Explorer and she received a Terrain Management Fault. The car was driving OK so she kept driving. She made a stop and when she restarted the vehicle it said Service Power Steering and Advanctrak fault. Now there is no power steering.

I started the car this morning to take to the dealership and it had no power steering with the same fault messages. Is this the type of issue that would be covered by the recall. I initially had the ECU reprogrammed during one of the oil changes.
Have you read the Supplement link in post 1021? I would guess that you might be covered but your dealer should be able to confirm, Yes or No.

Peter

Thanks for the response. I did read the document. If I understand correctly it seems like I have extended coverage on the steering gear. I also went into myford and it says for my vehicle is covered by the extended warranty.

I guess I have to hope the issue I have is related to the steering gear.

Thanks for the response. I did read the document. If I understand correctly it seems like I have extended coverage on the steering gear. I also went into myford and it says for my vehicle is covered by the extended warranty.

I guess I have to hope the issue I have is related to the steering gear.

You are covered for the power steering rack for 10 years or 150k. There is no deductible on it so it should be a free repair.

I'd highly recommend taking a pic of the warnings incase they clear by the time you get to the dealer. I'd also call Roadside and have them tow it. You have free Roadside with your esp.

You are covered for the power steering rack for 10 years or 150k. There is no deductible on it so it should be a free repair.

I'd highly recommend taking a pic of the warnings incase they clear by the time you get to the dealer. I'd also call Roadside and have them tow it. You have free Roadside with your esp.

I have 110k miles so I am safe there. I wish I would have posted yesterday. I didn't know about towing and ended up muscling it about 20 miles to the dealership. I did run a health report that someone else suggested. It did capture the faults.

The dealer got back to me and told me the DTC specified the problem is covered under the warranty. I am relieved.

The dealer got back to me and told me the DTC specified the problem is covered under the warranty. I am relieved.

Always a good feeling you don't have to cough up $2,000 for the repair.. :thumbsup:

I'm not surprised. I've been assuming that's where I'm going. Thanks for the update.
A little over two months later update.

Since the vehicle was at the dealership I have had no further power steering lockups. The steering has been free to move upon startup as well

From the notes, I think the last dealership that worked on it did the power steering reprogramming again.

It makes me wonder if the prior dealership really did it the first time? They were supposed to.

When I looked at the list of services and TSBs required when it went in for its last service, I think the power steering update still was listed.

Don't know, but at this point, if it works as it should, I am happy.

A little over two months later update.

Since the vehicle was at the dealership I have had no further power steering lockups. The steering has been free to move upon startup as well

From the notes, I think the last dealership that worked on it did the power steering reprogramming again.

It makes me wonder if the prior dealership really did it the first time? They were supposed to.

When I looked at the list of services and TSBs required when it went in for its last service, I think the power steering update still was listed.

Don't know, but at this point, if it works as it should, I am happy.
According to posts here, the power steering reprogramming did nothing to fix the issue and those that had it done eventually had to have the steering rack replaced.

Peter

According to posts here, the power steering reprogramming did nothing to fix the issue and those that had it done eventually had to have the steering rack replaced.

Peter
Well, all I can say at this point is somebody did something, and since the day it was in the shop the last time, the problem has not reoccurred - after happening daily, and often multiple times a day, for months and months.

Steering Assist Fault

My wife was driving yesterday and got this fault, the power steering actually completely stopped working while going slow like around 5mph and she could not move the wheel. i checked with ford cust service and they are telling me that my vehicle vin is not in the recall. Anyone else ever get this problem? i am going to try and take it in for an evaluation this week at the dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife was driving yesterday and got this fault, the power steering actually completely stopped working while going slow like around 5mph and she could not move the wheel. i checked with ford cust service and they are telling me that my vehicle vin is not in the recall. Anyone else ever get this problem? i am going to try and take it in for an evaluation this week at the dealer.
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this 53 page thread on the same issue. Check out the link in my post 1021 for the latest news on this issue. You should be covered.

Peter

Back