2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cxb189, See post 698 and 707. If you did not take out the ESP, then you are probably out of luck as far as a loaner or rental vehicle. I would, however, file a report with the NHTSA. See my post 613 for the link.

You can also try sending a PM to Crystal, (FordService), the Ford rep that monitors this forum. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, i was the proud owner of a 2011 Explorer Limited. Love the vehicle. Monday on the PA Turnpike i received the dash message that "power steering requires service", and the steering wheel became harder to steer...

Hi cxb189,

As Peter suggested, sending me your info in a PM should be your next step. Reach out with the info he listed (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer) so I can look into ways to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Im joining this forum just to report my recent experience with loss of power steering on a 2013 Ford Explorer that occurred in early April 2014. While making a sudden right turn trying to cross a busy 4 lane road, the "Power Steering Fault" warning pops up in the left display window and I'm suddenly in manual steering, hauling as hard as I can, trying not to get T-boned. 5 minutes later, pulled car in my driveway, turned off and on, and all works fine. No repeat issue. Brought to dealer the next day, and he could find no fault codes, supposedly searched w Ford for this issue, and no recognition of this. "just a computer glitch" lost communication between the PS module and the 'puter. I'm just praying this never happens again at an inopportune moment, or I could be toast!

Welcome to the Forum mlev2001.:wavey:
Unfortunately, I think there is a chance it might happen again. I'm going on the assumption that this wasn't repaired previously. See my post 709 above about the link to file a report with the NHTSA. This is important in that it will add to the already reported incidents and perhaps get Ford to acknowledge that there is a problem that they have deemed NOT to be a safety issue.
It would also be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the left margin.

Peter

I sent a pm to Crystal at Ford Service but my 2011 Explorer XLT with 21000 miles on it has lost power steering in the past week twice. It is scary to know it has done it while I am driving. Is this a recall now? I cannot tell from the previous messages if it is or note. Thanks

There is NO recall on this issue. Please ensure that you report it to the NHTSA. The link is included in post 613. Also definitely take it to the dealer and have them note the issue even if they are unable to get any codes. Are you still with the 3 year warranty coverage?

Peter

Peter, I do have factory warranty remaining and I also have an ESP. I thought I saw a recall on the NHTSA website dated in Jan?

Peter, I do have factory warranty remaining and I also have an ESP. I thought I saw a recall on the NHTSA website dated in Jan?
There is a recall for those that had the steering rack replaced between September 2013 and January 2014 because a part (gear) used may have been faulty. There is no recall, that I'm aware of the covers the steering failure otherwise.

Peter

Just to give an update, I currently have my 2011 Explorer XLT at Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA to have this steering issue checked. I have to say I am not confident in them finding anything as when I mentioned this to them they said they have not heard of it. Since this is CPO vehicle should the dealer I bought this from have known of this issue? Also since it still has factory warranty, a ESP and is a CPO should I have been offered a loaner?

Just to give an update, I currently have my 2011 Explorer XLT at Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA to have this steering issue checked. I have to say I am not confident in them finding anything as when I mentioned this to them they said they have not heard of it. Since this is CPO vehicle should the dealer I bought this from have known of this issue? Also since it still has factory warranty, a ESP and is a CPO should I have been offered a loaner?
I think it is possible that unless the dealer has seen this issue before that they may not be aware of it. The factory warranty does not provide for a rental vehicle. I did a quick check on the Internet for the ESP and it said that all ESP warranties provide for a rental for up to 10 days for covered repairs.

Peter

Yes, i was the proud owner of a 2011 Explorer Limited. Love the vehicle. Monday on the PA Turnpike i received the dash message that "power steering requires service", and the steering wheel became harder to steer. Got home without problem, but upon restarting the vehicle, steering was so difficult it became not possible to drive.

Took to local dealer, who did diagnose with replacement of rack. They were not happy to tell me that it could be weeks to repair, as Ford has this part on back-order due to the volume of problems that have occurred.
Is this a recall? or a least a technical bulletin?
More importantly, for those of us who need our vehicle for work, what do we do in the meantime? VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!

Details: 2011 Explorer LTD, 91,500 miles.

:mad:

Do you have any further news on your repair? I currently have my '11 in for a power steering failure which happened twice in a week. Would like to get info on what your dealership did to repair it.

Power steering problem 2013 explorer

Last week our 2013 Explorer power steering flash came on & power steering went away. Called service "they never have had that problem". Drove to dealer without power steering. Still said "never heard of that problem". I said fix it. Call three days later, said Ford would replace steering mechanism at their expense. Also said "it will take a while". One week has gone by. Still being positive. Great car otherwise.

Last week our 2013 Explorer power steering flash came on & power steering went away. Called service "they never have had that problem". Drove to dealer without power steering. Still said "never heard of that problem". I said fix it. Call three days later, said Ford would replace steering mechanism at their expense. Also said "it will take a while". One week has gone by. Still being positive. Great car otherwise.
Welcome to the Forum Joetownsend67.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.
Please do submit a report to the NHTSA about this issue. The more reports the better.
You can use this link; http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...di.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Peter

I got my Explorer back last week from Garnet Ford who replaced the parts in the steering. So far no issues and the warning lights have not come on. It was repaired in 3 days. When I had to go back to get the paper work and the service tech could not believe it cost $1800. Luckily I still have factory warranty remaining but it is still little unsettling when I am driving on I95 to work not knowing if my power steering will fail again. I will post the part numbers later once I look at my service order.

power steering assist turned off

I have a 2011 Explorer with about 70k miles. This has happened to me twice now where the power steering just stops working (and the dash/instrumentation goes black too). Luckily both times were in parking lots where I could quickly turn the car off and on again to reset it. I'm afraid this is going to cause a serious accident if it happens while in heavy, fast moving traffic on Houston freeways. Dealer said, sorry, we can't help you if we can't recreate the problem. Um, so what am I supposed to do? Dealer also said they hadn't heard of this problem before! I highly doubt that.

Any suggestions to get the dealer to fix it?

Welcome to the Forum heatherbd.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about your problem. Before doing anything else, I suggest that you file a report with the NHTSA using the link I supplied in a previous post.
I would then send a private message to Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep that monitors this forum and have her put you in touch with the regional customer service manager and open a 'case file' on your issue. This is a well documented problem that Ford has deemed NOT to be a safety issue because the vehicle can still be steered, assuming you are still taking 'weight lifting classes'.
You can use this link to send her a PM;
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
I believe this is the first I've heard about the instrument/dash going blank. It would also help if you added the model to your profile so it always shows in the left margin.

Peter

I have a 2011 Explorer with about 70k miles. This has happened to me twice now where the power steering just stops working (and the dash/instrumentation goes black too). Luckily both times were in parking lots where I could quickly turn the car off and on again to reset it. I'm afraid this is going to cause a serious accident if it happens while in heavy, fast moving traffic on Houston freeways. Dealer said, sorry, we can't help you if we can't recreate the problem. Um, so what am I supposed to do? Dealer also said they hadn't heard of this problem before! I highly doubt that.

Any suggestions to get the dealer to fix it?

Heatherbd, I would point the dealer to the NHTSA open case about this problem. Information about it can be found on the NHTSA's website under investigations. I tried to paste a link, but the link wouldn't work.

According to Ford, there were some defective steering racks which are causing the problem.

ALSO, and this is VERY important - please report this issue to the NHTSA. The more people that report it, the more likely they will force a recall. I'm really surprised that Ford is playing around with this issue seeing what happened to Chevy.

Here is a copy of my repair order from Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA. Maybe this will help those looking for a repair parts and numbers
2011_Explorer_repair.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum heatherbd.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about your problem. Before doing anything else, I suggest that you file a report with the NHTSA using the link I supplied in a previous post.
I would then send a private message to Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep that monitors this forum and have her put you in touch with the regional customer service manager and open a 'case file' on your issue. This is a well documented problem that Ford has deemed NOT to be a safety issue because the vehicle can still be steered, assuming you are still taking 'weight lifting classes'.
You can use this link to send her a PM;
I believe this is the first I've heard about the instrument/dash going blank. It would also help if you added the model to your profile so it always shows in the left margin.

Peter

Peter is absolutely correct everyone who experiences steering failure needs to submit a report with NHTSA

Contacting Crystal is OK, but more importantly send a certified letter to the Ford Board of directors. Management always tries to say they did not know about any given problem even after people die. It is the board of directors responsibility that serious issues are fixed by Ford management before people die. So put them on notice today

Write to Our Directors

Board of Directors
Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 685
Dearborn, MI 48126-0685
U.S.A.

Back