2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 69 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Emetz,

I want to do what I can to help. Send me your information via PM (name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership) so I can check out some options to assist.

Crystal
Its good to know that Ford USA is accommodating some issues on Recall. My Ford Explorer was imported from US but bought from local dealer. I am having problem now with the Power Steering Assist. Checking the https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCMN-14V286-7022.pdf clearly says that my SUV is covered for free replacement. Have tried to reach FORD USA because its taking some time for Ford Philippines to decide. Unfortunately, I was referred back to coordinate to Ford Philippines :(. I was hoping FORD USA would advise Ford Philippines to expedite their assessment.

MTN, that must have been unsettling to have this happen with your Explorer, and I’m sorry to hear you’re still waiting for the part. I’d like to have your issue reviewed by escalating your concern. Would you mind sending a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name?

Cory
Hi I've had the same issue with the power steering assistance failure on my 2011 Ford Explorer. Late last year (2019) I brought it in to the dealer when they did the toe-link and exhaust rotten-egg smell inside the vehicle recall. I told them every couple of weeks to a month, the power assist warning comes on and it would work if I turned of the car and restarted. They said that the recall said to reprogram the ECM to the latest software to fix it. They performed the update, which was also required by the exhaust warranty. It didn't fix the power assist failure and every month I have to reset, but it turns back on. Now it does not reset. I brought it to them and they said there is a recall, but it was for if it had less than 150,000 miles. I checked and it was less than 150k miles (149k) when I brought it in December when they did the reprogramming and asked to fix the power steering assist failure. Now at 159k miles, I explained this and they verified the ecm was updated and in before 150k and it didn't fix the issue, he said it cannot be under recall because it is now 159k. How do I push this decision up the chain since I had brought it in for that problem when it was under 159k miles? My family has just about every generation explorer: 95 Explorer (375k miles), 2006 explorer 230k miles, 2012 explorer 220k miles, 2007 Ford Edge 160k miles, and this 2011 Explorer with 169k miles. These have been excellent, reliable cars. Trying to figure out the power assist failure issue. Thanks,Paul

Forgive me for asking with-out searching through a lot of posts

Have a 2014 Explorer with 48k miles. Wife drove to church just fine came home and went to take our daughter to a trunk or treat boom
service advancetrac light and has no power steering. Where should I be looking? Is this something that's on recall?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The recall mentioned above is for the 2011 - 2013 Explorer but I also found the following doing an Internet search.
  • 1.2 million 2011-2017 Ford Explorer models were recalled due to an issue that causes a loss in steering control, increasing the risk of a crash, the company said. The explorers were built in Ford’s Chicago assembly plant from May 17, 2010 to January 25, 2017.
You should also check your Ford account to see if any recalls/TSBs are shown. Also, check with your dealer.

Peter

The recall mentioned above is for the 2011 - 2013 Explorer but I also found the following doing an Internet search.
  • 1.2 million 2011-2017 Ford Explorer models were recalled due to an issue that causes a loss in steering control, increasing the risk of a crash, the company said. The explorers were built in Ford’s Chicago assembly plant from May 17, 2010 to January 25, 2017.
You should also check your Ford account to see if any recalls/TSBs are shown. Also, check with your dealer.

Peter
That is for an exhust or Co2 issues..unrelated.

they scanned it and it just pulled a generic C1B00 code. The said it'd need an entire rack and prion or " Steering Gear" replaced and quoted $2544

This seems crazy there is not a clear answer for why it would work perfectly then suddenly stop when it wasn't making noise or hard to begin with.

It states that it is for "Steering issues". I don't see any mention of exhaust.

Peter

Peter
I did, They were literally no help...It's so dumb...literally the last ford ill ever buy again

Welcome to the Forum.
There are posts here that mentioned that the software update was not an effective repair and that the only way to 'fix' the issue was a new steering rack. Ford Recall 14S06: Loss Of Electric Power Steering Assist — 2013 Explorer | CarComplaints.com
BTW, I don't recall ever reading about a mileage limitation.

Peter
Thanks for the info. That was the best information that I've seen on this situation that affects explorers from 2011 to 2013. I see they have a supplement that extended the warranty on this for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. I brought it in before 150k, so trying to get dealer to submit. They said it does not qualify due to mileage. I've asked to submit anyway since I brought in before 150k and they did the reprogramming. They still said it is not going to get approved. I'll push again and let all know what they say. Thanks

I just had a second failure of the steering gear on my 2016... Still under 40,000mi. Replaced under my extended warranty.

Welp, Ford has decided to let a loyal member down. I have been told my Explorer is 2000 miles over the recall (although I thought recalls didn't have a 150k mileage limit) for their faulty Power Steering Assist which has now failed. $2200 fix for being 2k over their random recall limit.

This is enough to drive me away from Ford. Final straw

Hi I've had the same issue with the power steering assistance failure on my 2011 Ford Explorer. Late last year (2019) I brought it in to the dealer when they did the toe-link and exhaust rotten-egg smell inside the vehicle recall. I told them every couple of weeks to a month, the power assist warning comes on and it would work if I turned of the car and restarted. They said that the recall said to reprogram the ECM to the latest software to fix it. They performed the update, which was also required by the exhaust warranty. It didn't fix the power assist failure and every month I have to reset, but it turns back on. Now it does not reset. I brought it to them and they said there is a recall, but it was for if it had less than 150,000 miles. I checked and it was less than 150k miles (149k) when I brought it in December when they did the reprogramming and asked to fix the power steering assist failure. Now at 159k miles, I explained this and they verified the ecm was updated and in before 150k and it didn't fix the issue, he said it cannot be under recall because it is now 159k. How do I push this decision up the chain since I had brought it in for that problem when it was under 159k miles? My family has just about every generation explorer: 95 Explorer (375k miles), 2006 explorer 230k miles, 2012 explorer 220k miles, 2007 Ford Edge 160k miles, and this 2011 Explorer with 169k miles. These have been excellent, reliable cars. Trying to figure out the power assist failure issue. Thanks,Paul
Did you ever get an answer other than the one I got "While Ford Motor Company would like to assist with your repair cost, due to your vehicle being outside of warranty, we are unable to assist financially at this time. Your time/mileage has exceeded the limit by 2000 miles."?

This seems ridiculous to me.

Welp, Ford has decided to let a loyal member down. I have been told my Explorer is 2000 miles over the recall (although I thought recalls didn't have a 150k mileage limit) for their faulty Power Steering Assist which has now failed. $2200 fix for being 2k over their random recall limit.

This is enough to drive me away from Ford. Final straw
1609950219984.png

The above was taken from the notification letter sent to owners of affected vehicles. As you can see, they do have a coverage period.

Peter

View attachment 326359
The above was taken from the notification letter sent to owners of affected vehicles. As you can see, they do have a coverage period.

Peter
So is this update a fake or is there something I'm not understanding? 2000 miles over does not seem crazy, especially given the cost of the repair.

New! REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT • Clarifying the repair coverage: For vehicles that have safety recall 14S06 open and require a steering gear replacement under 15N01, but have exceeded 15N01 program terms of 10 years of service or 150,000 miles, please submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site for steering gear replacement approval prior to completing the repair. • Previously denied repairs: For vehicles that had safety recall 14S06 open and were denied a steering gear replacement under 15N01 because the vehicle had exceeded the 15N01 program terms of 10 years of service or 150,000 miles, dealers are to contact those owners to complete the previously denied repair and submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site for steering gear replacement approval or refund the vehicle owner for the cost of repair completed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCMN-14V286-7022.pdf

Sounds like Ford's final answer is simply "you do not meet the criteria for any financial assistance with Ford Motor Company" because of 2000 miles over their warranty on their faulty production.

It's upsetting because I've loved Fords and it seemed to be a simple thing. It might be cheesy but this was my response, I feel like the only thing I can do is use my voice:

Okay, from what you are saying and not saying (not giving me anyone to move up the chain to) my only recourse is really what my little ripple might do:

1. File a complaint with NHTSA. Might not do anything as it's an issue that clearly many people know about as there was a recall but still let them know how it is currently being handled.

2. Add my experience to the forum of Ford owners that have had similar problems. I will encourage other Ford owners and prospective buyers to read the forum before purchasing a Ford vehicle.

3. No longer be a loyal Ford owner, including my family of 6. This is a small number to a giant company but I will do my absolute best to share this experience with as many people as possible. Whether it be via social media, with the students and families at our school, the athletes I coach, their parents, and whoever might be willing to read or listen. Again, I know I'm a small fish that Ford Motor Company does not really care about, but there is no reason to encourage poor business practices. I know I won't "take down Ford" but I've always tried to lift those people/businesses up that do the right thing, that's where my focus will be. Steering others towards companies that stand by their product and do the right thing. Any chance I get I will share the poor customer service I received (extreme delay for a simple blunt "no") and the lack of standing by the product.

Too much crazy stuff going on in the world at this moment that this topic is minuscule but I will definitely still toss it out when applicable and whenever I can.

Simple fix by you/Ford, I'm sorry to lose the brand and loyalty.

Have a good day.

If Ford Customer Service says to take the issue to SSSC and SSSC says take the issue to Ford Customer Service, what's an owner to do? Is this Ford's way to just give the run around until someone gives up?

SSSC? :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t know what it stands for. I think it’s their internal system maybe? It’s mentioned in the recall PDF and my service guy said he tried them first and was told no.

Just frustrating that this is due to their faulty manufacturing. Not like regular wear and tear or standard maintenance. And then for it to be so very expensive to fix, seems like a scam. I’m disappointed in Ford.

Back