• Register Today It's free!

2011 3.5 engine swap interchange

Jas_stang

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Has anyone done an engine change in a 2011/2012 and know if a flex,edge, or Taurus 3.5 works? Just bought a 2011 with a bad engine due to failed water pump dumping coolant into crankcase. Salvage yard interchange shows 11/12 explorer only and those motors are going for $1500-1800 with 100K + miles. I can get an edge, Taurus, or flex motor for half that with less miles. Just curious what the differences are. I don’t mind changing front cover, exhuast manifolds or intake. Hoping someone has some insight on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't add much here but Taurus was not Ti-VCT until at least 2013.

Has anyone done an engine change in a 2011/2012 and know if a flex,edge, or Taurus 3.5 works? Just bought a 2011 with a bad engine due to failed water pump dumping coolant into crankcase. Salvage yard interchange shows 11/12 explorer only and those motors are going for $1500-1800 with 100K + miles. I can get an edge, Taurus, or flex motor for half that with less miles. Just curious what the differences are. I don’t mind changing front cover, exhuast manifolds or intake. Hoping someone has some insight on this.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Both the 2011Edge and Explorer share a partial part number 6006-D, however the first 4 indicators are different. The Edge is $3553.94 and the Explorer $3062.63. That doesn't really tell you much as far as if the Edge would be compatible or not.
Engine for 2011 Ford Edge | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
Engine for 2011 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Thanks for the replies! I am aware that the horse power ratings are different just not sure what is the mechanical difference. I know on the Hollander it has to be a perfect match for interchange. Some have minor differences with front covers, intakes, oil pans, or motor mounts but are essentially same block. Was hoping someone had first hand knowledge but I might just bite the bullet and pay for the direct match.

Back