2011 explorer speedometer ticks backwards when car is shut off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer speedometer ticks backwards when car is shut off

Michael Schlofer

Reaction score
City, State
Catasauqua Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Has anyone ever noticed when the car is shut off that the speedometer ticks backwards every minute or so. Car is shut completely down doors are locked needle clicks backwards and makes relay noise and then repeats and does it non stop all night and I notice it still happening in the morning. We have a battery drain we are on the second new battery in a month dealer is clueless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
This particular issue has not been posted before. I have no idea why it would do that and it seems to be something that the Battery Saver Program is not shutting down.:(

Peter

I haven't watched the Explorer on its own, but it's normal for the cluster to re-zero the physical gauges when the vehicle is turned off. However, that process should only wiggle the needles for 5 seconds or less, based on my experience in other Ford vehicles.

Thanks for your replies, the car went to the dealership this morning, I suggested they pull fuses until the drain goes away, then they will have a better idea of what is bad. I will post a update when I hear from them tomorrow.

Got the car back today, the dealership had it for seven days, they said they did a lot of testing. They ended up wiping the computer and putting in a custom update from Ford and that seemed to have done the trick. The speedo does tick back one time, but that’s it and I don’t see the drain when I check the battery with my meter.

Back