2011 Explorer with leaking moon roof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer with leaking moon roof

ThreeFords

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer base m
I have a 2011 Explorer with a sun roof that started leaking this spring during heavy rain. We figured out that the roof leaks much less if it is parked in the driveway (nose tilted up) vs. being parked in the street (right side tilted lower).

From my own research, I understand that the first thing I need to try to do is to clean out the drain tubes with something like a bicycle brake cable. Question -- is there a diagram online about where the drain tubes are on a 2011 Explorer? I think I see one in the passenger side front edge of the open sun roof, but I'm not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front 2 corners of moonroof and they go down the front fender wells. There is a diagram that has been posted on here a few times but being mobile, harder for me to search.

Try searching for "moon roof leak and youb should probably find the thread.

Never had a water-intrusion issue with my Explorer, but I've cleaned many clogged moonroof drains over the years. I get the best result using a 5- or 6-ft length of old speedometer cable chucked into a cordless drill. SLOWLY run the drill clockwise as you feed the end of the very flexible speedometer cable into the drain hole from the top. Continue to run the drill and feed the cable through the drain passage until it emerges from beneath the vehicle. Then run the drill counterclockwise as you withdraw the cable from the drain passage. Follow up by thoroughly flushing the drain(s) with lots of water from a hose.

Newer cars don't use speedometer cables, but you can still buy one. Just checked, and AutoZone has several listed at their website.

Here you go.

14 Explorer Drain Tubes.jpg

I have a 2011 Explorer with a sun roof that started leaking this spring during heavy rain. We figured out that the roof leaks much less if it is parked in the driveway (nose tilted up) vs. being parked in the street (right side tilted lower).

From my own research, I understand that the first thing I need to try to do is to clean out the drain tubes with something like a bicycle brake cable. Question -- is there a diagram online about where the drain tubes are on a 2011 Explorer? I think I see one in the passenger side front edge of the open sun roof, but I'm not sure.
If the drain tubes are blocked the most common place the water will pool is in the front or rear foot wells depend on which ones are blocked.
Please update your profile by adding the now 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) so it shows in the margin. That can at times be helpful. Thanks.

Peter

A safer way to clean out the drain passages is to use string trimmer line. As the drains may use rubber tubing for part of their runs the plastic trimmer line would be less likely to damage them. It's what I've always used on other vehicles and trust me you do NOT want to damage or unseat one of the rubber lines.:banghead:

I just tried this with the plastic trimmer line that PapaGary suggested. I did get it quite far in with the drill on slow. However, it eventually hit a barrier that it could not get past. When I pulled the whole string trimmer line out, it was wet for most of the length. So ... this is definitely the problem but I have not solved it yet.

Question -- could I try this from the other direction? Is there a way for me to identify the drains in the fenders? Or are they in the engine compartment?

Turn the steering wheel full direction on side you are working on and remove the Wheel well liner. You should be able to see it up there.

Reviving this thread as after a recent "insane" rain storm, I had water dripping down from the map lights. Turns out the front right side drain of the moonroof was not draining. Easily spotted as the water just sits there about half an inch deep in the corner. I tried all kinds of nylon wires down the hole and the methods described in this thread but I and had no luck. At the end I even tried a wire snake (also nylon but quite thick) and even that couldn't get past the clog (or so I thought). So I decided to go backwards. To cut a long story short, it was the outlet behind the wheel that had clearly gotten old as the plastic around the mouth was very "slimy" and had almost glued itself together. I took a pair of scissors to it and cut off the nasty bit, and all water drained instantly. I've documented the process (not the moonroof part as that should be straight forward)

1. Take off wheel well panel. It has those annoying screws that you can't put pressure on or they won't come out. I had to pull a few by wiggle-force (bought some cheap ones from china on Ebay to use as replacements). I really, really hate those screws. Anyway, as mentioned, you probably don't have to take the wheel off if you turn it fully, but I hate cramped work spaces.
dOySBGo.jpg

2. Peel it to the side and look up, there it is.
iYWZof8.jpg

3. After a little trim...
pQKNa34.jpg

4. Everything back on, let's test it by pouring some water in from the top.
S1iFPLI.jpg

Bingo. I'll have to look at the left-side drain next time that wheel comes off.

i think this thread can be emerged with mine....
my new finding were that the foot carpet on the 3rd seat row was wet and the passenger seat carpet was also wet. the right hand drain was blocked which i cleared off today.
the issue with the rear was fine cracks on the liftgate liner.
HOWEVER
when the car is parked, the car is dry... but when i drive the car, the passenger seat again fills with water..... i think there is a joint which is leaked... i filled it with silicon so lets see.....

If you have a 2011-2014? Explorer with rear leaks check to see if it is part of the recall. Mine was and it turns out they were made for Law Enforcement with lots of extra holes added for equipment to be added. When they didn't sell Ford 'forgot' to add drain tubes and plugs in the back, according to the Ford tech that did my recall in March 2019.

If you have a 2011-2014? Explorer with rear leaks check to see if it is part of the recall. Mine was and it turns out they were made for Law Enforcement with lots of extra holes added for equipment to be added. When they didn't sell Ford 'forgot' to add drain tubes and plugs in the back, according to the Ford tech that did my recall in March 2019.

2 totally different things. What you are talking about was regarding the Exhaust Smell etc that was leaking in through the open holes.

Reviving this thread as after a recent "insane" rain storm, I had water dripping down from the map lights. Turns out the front right side drain of the moonroof was not draining. Easily spotted as the water just sits there about half an inch deep in the corner. I tried all kinds of nylon wires down the hole and the methods described in this thread but I and had no luck. At the end I even tried a wire snake (also nylon but quite thick) and even that couldn't get past the clog (or so I thought). So I decided to go backwards. To cut a long story short, it was the outlet behind the wheel that had clearly gotten old as the plastic around the mouth was very "slimy" and had almost glued itself together. I took a pair of scissors to it and cut off the nasty bit, and all water drained instantly. I've documented the process (not the moonroof part as that should be straight forward)

1. Take off wheel well panel. It has those annoying screws that you can't put pressure on or they won't come out. I had to pull a few by wiggle-force (bought some cheap ones from china on Ebay to use as replacements). I really, really hate those screws. Anyway, as mentioned, you probably don't have to take the wheel off if you turn it fully, but I hate cramped work spaces.

2. Peel it to the side and look up, there it is.

3. After a little trim...

4. Everything back on, let's test it by pouring some water in from the top.

Bingo. I'll have to look at the left-side drain next time that wheel comes off.
Hey, is there any way you can repost your pics showing how you fixed this? (All the pics appear to be the same on your post). I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2015 Limited, and I was going to use your method to fix. Thanks!

Hey, is there any way you can repost your pics showing how you fixed this? (All the pics appear to be the same on your post). I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2015 Limited, and I was going to use your method to fix. Thanks!
I'll have Rick, the Administrator check that out. It happens at times.

Peter

Back