Sync 3 or APIM issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seth1204

Reaction score
City, State
Athens
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford explorer XLT
I have a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT. about a week ago the screen went black. I pulled the fuse for the sync system and plugged it back in and the screen fired back up and has remained operation for the most part. Since this occurence the following have been inoperational. no ability to use touchscreen climate controls( physical buttons do work), navigation does not show up as an option anymore, on climate control the heated steering wheel option does not show up and the heated steering wheel is on at all times, When shifting to reverse the backup camera does not come on. I upgraded to most recent sync upgrade availabe and did the master reset and all other resets for the screen with no luck. Is this an APIM issue that needs to be repaired, is their something wrong with the fuse box, os something just disconnected? I am lost at this point and ford online support has no clue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Seth. :wave:
My 'guess' would be that it is an APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) issue. Have you tried a Master Reset or negative battery cable disconnect? Either of those could result in the loss of some saved memory settings.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Seth. :wave:
My 'guess' would be that it is an APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) issue. Have you tried a Master Reset or negative battery cable disconnect? Either of those could result in the loss of some saved memory settings.

Peter
I have done both the master reset and battery disconnect

Did you end up finding out what was wrong with yours? I have very similar issues. Did master reset, replaced Apim, and it didn’t fix the issues

Did you end up finding out what was wrong with yours? I have very similar issues. Did master reset, replaced Apim, and it didn’t fix the issues
I don't know if the member is still around. He was last seen here on Jan. 2nd.

Peter

What problems are you having specifically, black screen is almost always APIM but any of the other symptoms could be another component.

What problems are you having specifically, black screen is almost always APIM but any of the other symptoms could be another component.
My screen isn’t blank. What happens is kind of like a short circuit. My buttons below my screen stop working, my ac/heat stops working, my front windows won’t roll down, amd my lift gate button won’t work. It seems like it happens more when it’s hot. Usually I can unhook the battery for a bit and then it will work for a couple start ups. We have replaced the battery, battery terminal, and the Apim. We had checked the fuses before and they seem to work, but we have ordered some new fuses That seemed hotter than the rest when checked. They should be here in a couple days, but I really don’t have a lot of faith in that fixing it.

My screen isn’t blank. What happens is kind of like a short circuit. My buttons below my screen stop working, my ac/heat stops working, my front windows won’t roll down, amd my lift gate button won’t work. It seems like it happens more when it’s hot. Usually I can unhook the battery for a bit and then it will work for a couple start ups. We have replaced the battery, battery terminal, and the Apim. We had checked the fuses before and they seem to work, but we have ordered some new fuses That seemed hotter than the rest when checked. They should be here in a couple days, but I really don’t have a lot of faith in that fixing it.
I would start with a 12v battery load test. These things hate low voltage. If you have Forscan that tends to tell a lot more as it can pull a bunch of DTCs you wont see on a regular scanner, I would have to assume it's voltage related or it's a problem with the CANBUS being swamped with messages from a failing component.

Back