• Register Today It's free!

2011 Liftgate stuck

bigdavesays

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 GMC
I don't own an Explorer. Dad does. The rear liftgate (NON POWER LIFT) was stuck shut. The lock could be heard doing it's job but you could not open it. I pulled off the top interior panel and broke one tab. (pull both sides of the top rear interior panel inward, then pull the rest down when for try to remove it) Next pull the upper part of the lower interior panel loose in the center. Use a 10 MM socket on a 1/4 ratchet and reach down inside using a flashlight to take off the bolts holding the hand-hold that is on the outside. You have to go outside and pry it loose from the bottom. Now from the outside you can see the latch assy. I moved the levers and could not open the liftgate. I went and got the part and could see how to cut it into pieces so I could open it. I used a very long blade on a sawzall (Reciprocating hand saw) to cut the top half of the latch assy. off. Then I used it to cut both sides of the latch to free it from the plate that is bolted from underneath. Next I used a Dremel tool with a large grinding wheel to remove the top of the two Large rivets holding the latch together. Then a small pry bar to free it from the base and bingo. The door was open. Three T25 torx screws from the bottom unhook the wire connector and the latch assy. was off the car. Get the part first so you can see how it is made and what to cut. All this will make more sense when you have the part in hand. Be careful, they tried to sell us the wrong part. 30 years as a Mechanic so if you can't finesse a hand saw it may be tough but with some effort I saved Dad $300 in labor. Take it apart so you can see it. GET the part so you understand what to cut. As far as I can see there is no published repair procedure to deal with this problem. This is the procedure. I came here looking for free advice and couldn't find it but now it is only fair to share what I learned. Good luck, BUY AMERICAN! Dead Link Removed

i brought your question over to the forum section for the year and model,,

hopefully somebody here will be able to help you out,

welcome to the forum,,

Hi There Corkey, I think you misunderstood the post. This was not a question, it was a Solution. I have been a mechanic for over thirty years but I found no good information on how to solve the problem of needing to replace the Accuator/Latch assy. when you can't open the lift gate. I figured it out but it took me a lot of time. I just made the post to help the people who run into the same problem. I came here looking for free information and when I finally figured it out on my own it was only fair that I share it. As far as I can tell there is no information on how to replace a latch when you can't get the lift gate open on the web so now we have on the forum. Thanks for the welcome.

Back