2012 Ex Lane Keeping Alert Technology | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ex Lane Keeping Alert Technology

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very cool!
I hope we can upgrade our 2011s........probably not.
Or.....I could buy another one ! :)

a friend of mine has it in his BMW, while it all sounds like neat technology I just don't know how valuable it would be for me. I guess there are people out there who need stuff like that. If you get to the point where your vehicle has to park for you and then has to tell you to stay in your own lane, I think it's time to turn in your driver's license. I wonder how many false alarms you would get during the course of a typical day of driving, especially in construction zones where lanes shift all over the place.

they say it's too keep drowsy drivers to stay in their own lane, but i also think this option will encourage 'buzzed/tipsy drivers' to stay in their own lane...i agree with fusion, if you need all this technology to help you drive, then you shouldn't be driving. lets see, 1. turn by turn directions/navigation,.2. parrallel park assist, 3. adaptive cruise control, 4. lane keeping alert, 5. heads up display for emergency braking, 6. rearview backup camera...why would the drowsy driver NEED to pull over to sip coffee or take a nap, he can just let the truck drive itself and take a nap behind the wheel.....

I noticed that as well, but the full FOrd announcement actually mentioned a number of other features coming next year, too:

http://www.freep.com/article/201110...ety-innovations-into-Explorer-early-next-year

I'm thinking that many of the new items sounded like they might be part of the new MFT release we keep hearing rumors of?

I like how Sue Cischke blamed the customer! Yeah, because it is our fault the system has poor response to input or is slow and so on, and so on, and so on. Not even going to bother to recap the rest.

Reminds me of Antennagate, where Apple told everyone that they were holding it wrong. How lame.

These people just don't get it, do they? I fear they never will....

On the upside, I like the changes they are proposing (I'll even assume for now that they will actually work). One thing that I would like to see, and it may be an aspect of the feature not yet covered, regarding the 'Do Not Disturb' function is a list of permitted phone numbers. That way mom and dad can still get hold of the little rascal while blocking all other calls.

Discussing what we "need" these days is pointless because everybody has a different POV on that. The question is what is AVAILABLE in CASE we WANT it.

A driver doesn't "need" to hook up his/her Ipod, you don't "need" heated seats. You don't even "need" keyless access....:rolleyes:

Vince,
I think quite a bit of it has to do with people who don't know how to use the tech. Just look on this forum and you can see evidence of it. Some of the questions on here make me laugh out loud. People are to lazy to read the manual and find out HOW TO. Maybe ford should make the manual part of the tech. That way you can ask a question like. "where can I find how to set up auto presets for when i auto start my vehicle". Here's something..... read the manual people. My wife is a living example of how people that are not tech savy can have a difficult time. People now days are impatient and sometime sadly...ignorant to how things work. I could take the time to go through the posts on here to prove my point. Sadly, I'm to lazy to do so. Wish I had a steering wheel in my hand right now so I could push the button and say, show me some.

I'll agree with you to a point. There is a huge learning curve, that is for sure, and reading the manual is a must, but....

I don't feel the system is as fast as it needs to be. For example, my wife and I were playing around in an 2012 Ex at the dealership. I was trying to show her some of the functionality to introduce her to MFT. One of the first things out of her mouth is "Why is it so slow?" I had to stifle my laugh. She doesn't read this board, and has no problems with technology, but that is the first thing she noticed. She also asked why the animation was so choppy. She also did not like how long it took for the system to be ready for a voice command. She wanted to press the button and start speaking, but I had to slow her down and wait for the system to be ready.

The point to all of that is, if you are going to introduce new methods to interact with the vehicle and its systems, they have to be as intuitive, as effective, and as quick as the previous methods, otherwise you are taking steps backward. The screen response isn't fast enough, the voice control not quick enough, and the system stable enough to replace the methods already out there. The user should be able to interact with the system at many levels, the simplest forms without having to read through a manual. Leave the manual for the advanced functions. MFT isn't intuitive.

As I said in another post, Ford pushed the envelope of technology, and I can appreciate that because I love gadgets. I believe the problem lies in Ford pushing from the wrong direction. Instead of MFT enhancing the functionality of real buttons and knobs, bringing new layers of control to the user, they pushed from the other direction. They made MFT the master and commander with stylish touch sensitive surfaces and nubs acting as an afterthought. In my eyes, that is where the problem lies. MFT is nowhere near where it needs to be performance, reliability, and functionality wise to accomplish what Ford expects, and in some cases demands, it to do. Ford set about to reinvent the wheel, and came up with a product while flashy (pun intended) and full of promise, just doesn't seem to roll as well as the wheel before it.

Will it get there eventually, sure, I have little doubt about that. Hopefully the big update will fix a great many things and allow MFT to do what it was meant to do. But until I can press the voice command button and being speaking instantly, no wait for a prompt, or ding, or her lovely voice, it will simply be too cumbersome to be completely effective. Is that an unreasonable request? Maybe it is for today's technology. If that is true, then my response is that MFT should have been released later.

Here is to hoping that all of the kinks will be worked out by the time we buy next summer. Maybe the 2013's will be perfect :)

Vince,
I think quite a bit of it has to do with people who don't know how to use the tech. Just look on this forum and you can see evidence of it. Some of the questions on here make me laugh out loud. People are to lazy to read the manual and find out HOW TO. Maybe ford should make the manual part of the tech. That way you can ask a question like. "where can I find how to set up auto presets for when i auto start my vehicle". Here's something..... read the manual people. My wife is a living example of how people that are not tech savy can have a difficult time. People now days are impatient and sometime sadly...ignorant to how things work. I could take the time to go through the posts on here to prove my point. Sadly, I'm to lazy to do so. Wish I had a steering wheel in my hand right now so I could push the button and say, show me some.

Chimoman

Your assessment is quite accurate but I still believe the product has to take into account that not every user is an informatics engineer.

I agree with Read The F*&% Manual 100%..........but;

The Graphic User Interface (GUI) needs to intuitive for the AVERAGE driver not the highly technical.

If you look at the competitions systems they have some issues like MFT but they are easier to use for the AVERAGE driver.

For example I don't want to move through 3 screens and push buttons on those screens four times to get my heated seats to go on. In the wife's GMC Terrain SLT1 (lower model then Limited Ex) I hit one button, I get immediate feedback my button press worked and the button lights come on.

Also when you roll out technology you live or die by the support you provide that technology. When I took delivery NO ONE at my dealership knew more then I did about MFT. (I don't know that much either) Its bad when most of the owners on this forum know more the Service Techs at their respective Dealerships.

When I call SYNC/MFT Tech Support in Dearborn, often I know more about the product then the advisor does. Thats not support. Every time there has been a new update I knew before SYNC/MFT Hotline did.

Even on this forum we were told v2.11 is coming just be patient, then a forum member got it installed in their vehicle before anything was officially released.

The SYNCMYRIDE Website is also probably one of the most difficult sites to navigate for the AVERAGE driver/owner.

The Manager in Charge of SYNC/MFT Support should be re-evaluating the current support structure and consider something like what Apple does.

Yes, I know, I drank the KoolAid and now Im so biased I can't be impartial......ya ya ya.

But at least when I phone for AppleCare support I get the issue resolved quickly and by someone who knows the product better then I do.

Back