• Register Today It's free!

Check fuel fill inlet

LarryD2013EXP

Reaction score
City, State
HENDERSONVILLE,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer, Limited
Hello. I have a 2012 Explorer that has been having a check fuel inlet message. As well there is a code P0457 (fuel cap loose or missing)

obviously there is no fuel cap as it has the cap-less Fuel filler.

I have checked the purge valve and it’s working fine.
I assume it is a problem either the seal around the fuel filler. I have cleaned it with carb cleaner and compressed air and lubricated it with wd40.

I have searched online for the parts to replace the seal and have not found anything.

has anyone else experienced this issue and know where I can just purchase the replacement seal ?

and posit he procedure to replace it?

Hello. I have a 2012 Explorer that has been having a check fuel inlet message. As well there is a code P0457 (fuel cap loose or missing)

obviously there is no fuel cap as it has the cap-less Fuel filler.

I have checked the purge valve and it’s working fine.
I assume it is a problem either the seal around the fuel filler. I have cleaned it with carb cleaner and compressed air and lubricated it with wd40.

I have searched online for the parts to replace the seal and have not found anything.

has anyone else experienced this issue and know where I can just purchase the replacement seal ?

and posit he procedure to replace it?
Wd40 eats some rubber... I know from personal experience.

Welcome to the Forum Larry. :wave:
Have you confirmed that the small metal flap is completely closing after the nozzle has been removed?

Peter

Wd40 eats some rubber... I know from personal experience.

Welcome to the Forum Larry. :wave:
Have you confirmed that the small metal flap is completely closing after the nozzle has been removed?

Peter
Yes, I have checked the metal flap many times. It appears to close correctly.

I have seen things online regarding how there can be dirt and debris preventing the flap from sealing properly and that is why I have tried cleaning it many times but the message and error come back. I reset the error with my scan tool. but it keeps coming back which means something is not sealing correctly. I have also seen where other Fords (Mustangs, Fusions, etc) have had this same issue.

When searching on a replacement seal the only thing I can find is a replacement for the entire fuel filler neck.

I can't believe that there is not a replacement part for the seal or even just the top part of the filler tube with the flap and new seal as an assembly.

Back