• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer XLT vs 2012 4Runner

jreask

Reaction score
City, State
st. louis Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT Explorer
We now own a 2012Explorer 4WD. We are contemplating a 2012 SR5 4Runner 4WD. Both vehicles have their pros and cons. The EX rides very smoothly. It is also comfortable. It has some glitches with the software on MFT. The third row access is acceptable. The 4Runner is definitely more capable off road and in rougher terrains. It is also comfortable. The third row access is not very good. The fuel economies are very close to each other. The other thing I can only guess at is the future resale value. The 4Runner historically has much better resale value than the once over produced Explorer. I would like to hear some opinions from members. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well this is an explorer forum soooooo EXPLORER!
Anyways, I hate toyotas. Never liked em, never will. The explorer admits that it's a soccer mom car, the toyota is trying to hide it. Might be better offroad, but that's only if your definition of offroad is gravel roads. And I'm pretty sure the explorer handles better :thumbsup: which would be more important for those not looking to leave the asphalt. Resale value, couldn't tell ya. But if gas stays where its at or continues to climb then whatever suv gets good gas mileage will have great resale value (compared to other suvs obviously)

When I researched, I took alook at 4 runner, very vanilla interior, more pricey when you factor everything in and yes more on a truck platform, compared to fords ( Volvo wagon?) platform.

Iobviously decided on the ford having owned Japanese and European brands. The fact that ford did not take the buyout, readjusted their business model, basically turned themselves around, they earned the right for me to consider them.

I feel the same way as spitfisher. dido.

I also took a good look at a 2012 4Runner. I thought the interior left something to be desired and there was absolutely no space behind the 3rd row, it was not planned into the design (seemed like an afterthought). There is very little foot room in the 3rd row as well. I chose the explorer based on a few things:
1: The interior / exterior looks and function
2: The technology at the price point this includes everything in the 302A Limited category i.e. Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind spot warning system
3: Cargo Space with 3rd row up
4: I didn't need to go off road with my vehicle - I have a F350 Diesel for that

If I wanted to go off roading, I would have leaned towards the 4Runner, I owned a 2003 4Runner, I loved that SUV. I lifted it and yes it handles the wilderness of Canada just fine. Went where a lot of pickup trucks couldn't go. It has ATRAC, electronic locking front diff, the 4Runner chewed up the trails.
But sadly my life is filled with trips to the school, work, taking 3 kids everywhere that they need to go etc.
A 4Runner did not fit the bill for me anymore, I choose the explorer for that reason above all. The explorer handles better on the highway and around town (it is a station wagon).

Just my 2 cents, I hope this writeup actually helps, I am a Toyota fanatic but until they bring a diesel to Canada I am not buying from them.

I also took a good look at a 2012 4Runner. I thought the interior left something to be desired and there was absolutely no space behind the 3rd row, it was not planned into the design (seemed like an afterthought). There is very little foot room in the 3rd row as well. I chose the explorer based on a few things:
1: The interior / exterior looks and function
2: The technology at the price point this includes everything in the 302A Limited category i.e. Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind spot warning system
3: Cargo Space with 3rd row up
4: I didn't need to go off road with my vehicle - I have a F350 Diesel for that

If I wanted to go off roading, I would have leaned towards the 4Runner, I owned a 2003 4Runner, I loved that SUV. I lifted it and yes it handles the wilderness of Canada just fine. Went where a lot of pickup trucks couldn't go. It has ATRAC, electronic locking front diff, the 4Runner chewed up the trails.
But sadly my life is filled with trips to the school, work, taking 3 kids everywhere that they need to go etc.
A 4Runner did not fit the bill for me anymore, I choose the explorer for that reason above all. The explorer handles better on the highway and around town (it is a station wagon).

Just my 2 cents, I hope this writeup actually helps, I am a Toyota fanatic but until they bring a diesel to Canada I am not buying from them.

Thanks for your input. The third row in the 4Runner is terrible. The access is atrocious. The third row is not something we will need frequently and most of the time it will be folded down. I love my 98 Runner. I think that is the reason we are even thinking about a 2012. Resale value along with reliability are two pros. I do know that the voice activated navigation in the 4Runner puts MFT to shame. It is very responsive and the voice commands are always understood. I guess we will see in a few weeks if Ford has improved their system.

I had 3 Highlanders over 10 years and never did get to try the 4Runner. The ones on the lot, when they did have them, were already sold or had just come in and weren't road ready yet.
The 4Runner is still on a truck platform and is a true off roader, and can handle much more than 'gravel driveways'. I believe that it still has a true Low range. The only vehicle Toyota has that I believe is better off road is the FJ Cruiser. The 4Runners do hold their value and in the 10 years I dealt with my dealer, I never saw a used one on the lot.

Peter

I too narrowed my choices down to the 4runner and explorer. I was torn because I wanted the off road worthiness of the 4runner but was not willing to endure the harsh ride for daily driving. It really rides like a truck. Took it on the freeway and that really pushed me toward the Ford. My wife would not have liked the body on frame ride, hard leather seats and lack of technology. Yeah it would have been great to enjoy the better ground clearance, off road worthiness, sliding second row, better car seat accomodations, but in the end the Ex won out. The Toyota's much higher entrance height and trunk height with wife new baby added to the decision toward Ford. Also considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ Hemi, but the lack of trunk space was a killer.

We now own a 2012Explorer 4WD. We are contemplating a 2012 SR5 4Runner 4WD. Both vehicles have their pros and cons. The EX rides very smoothly. It is also comfortable....
Joe,

As you can see, there’s already a ton of feedback on this. The community members here really love their rides. :D

Cory

Joe,

As you can see, there’s already a ton of feedback on this. The community members here really love their rides. :D

Cory

Yeah, you should see the responses on the T4R forum. They love their rides too. The biggest thing is the resale value. The Toyotas hold their value, will the Ford ??

Yeah, you should see the responses on the T4R forum. They love their rides too. The biggest thing is the resale value. The Toyotas hold their value, will the Ford ??
It’s good that they like their ride too, jreask. I’m a little biased so I’ll let the other community members take that one. ;):thumbsup:

Cory

I do know that the voice activated navigation in the 4Runner puts MFT to shame. It is very responsive and the voice commands are always understood. I guess we will see in a few weeks if Ford has improved their system.

I have the new update and the new maps. So far the voice navigation is great in the new MFT. It found everything I asked it to find and much quicker than the old system. There seems to be a ton more points of interest. I used to find that the old voice nav was pretty useless, now I am finding that its incredibly handy.

For example, on the old system, it seemed to have trouble finding a Walmart, a Menards (home improvement store), my preferred ford dealer - it really had trouble with the word "FORD!" (Ahh... the irony), and other points of interest. On the new system - no problems finding any of these locations.

-J

Menards is great. Got to go once while visiting relatives in La Crosse.

I have the new update and the new maps. So far the voice navigation is great in the new MFT. It found everything I asked it to find and much quicker than the old system...
That’s awesome, J! The SYNC lady is just more interested now? ;)

Really? But I heard you drive a Chevy :D. Jk
Nope; not me… You must have me confused with somebody else. :D

Cory

Menards is great. Got to go once while visiting relatives in La Crosse.

La Crosse is a nice area - Menards is pretty nice - did you go to Fleet Farm as well? Fleet Farm is a neat store along the same lines.

La Crosse is a nice area - Menards is pretty nice - did you go to Fleet Farm as well? Fleet Farm is a neat store along the same lines.

Didn't make it to Fleet Farm! Have a reason to go back now, that and getting some fried cheese curds :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the decision:

cacefec8.jpg

Back