• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Headrest DVDs

JohnMD

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
I recently received my factory ordered 2013 Ford Explorer (Limited) in December 2012. One of my factory ordered options were the headrest mounted DVDs for the second row passengers to view. According to the 2013 Explorer Brochure, even though this is a factory option (NOT a Ford Accessory aftermarket feature), the DVDs are supposed to be installed by the dealer. However, upon delivery of my Explorer from Ford to the dealer, I was informed by the dealer that Ford forgot to ship the DVDs for dealer installation and, therefore, I have to wait 4-6 weeks for them to track down the DVDs and install them for me.

The dealer tells me that Ford recently switched from InVision to Myron & Davis for provision of the headrest DVD systems, which is causing the delay. I had the InVision system in my 2008 LIncoln MKX and found it to be excellent. I assumed (based on the 2013 Explorer brochure) that I would be receiving the InVision system again, and certainly hope that the Myron & Davis units are comparable.

Has this happened to anyone else who received their vehicle in Q4, 2012? I want to be sure that Ford and/or the dealer aren't screwing me around. Having to wait 4-6 weeks (hopefully not longer) is a pain in the butt, especially since I have paid for the system already. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this and how it worked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently received my factory ordered 2013 Ford Explorer (Limited) in December 2012. One of my factory ordered options were the headrest mounted DVDs for the second row passengers to view. According to the 2013 Explorer Brochure, even though this is a factory option (NOT a Ford Accessory aftermarket feature), the DVDs are supposed to be installed by the dealer. However, upon delivery of my Explorer from Ford to the dealer, I was informed by the dealer that Ford forgot to ship the DVDs for dealer installation and, therefore, I have to wait 4-6 weeks for them to track down the DVDs and install them for me.

The dealer tells me that Ford recently switched from InVision to Myron & Davis for provision of the headrest DVD systems, which is causing the delay. I had the InVision system in my 2008 LIncoln MKX and found it to be excellent. I assumed (based on the 2013 Explorer brochure) that I would be receiving the InVision system again, and certainly hope that the Myron & Davis units are comparable.

Has this happened to anyone else who received their vehicle in Q4, 2012? I want to be sure that Ford and/or the dealer aren't screwing me around. Having to wait 4-6 weeks (hopefully not longer) is a pain in the butt, especially since I have paid for the system already. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this and how it worked out.

Hi JohnMD,

Have you reached out to Ford Canada? They can be reached at 1-800-565-3673 and may be able to assist with parts on back order.

Keep us posted as things progress.

Crystal

It's possible they switched vendors for the DVD system. Beginning with vehicles built Dec 3 they DVD headrests are factory installed and will no longer ship separately for dealer installation. That could also be a reason for the delay in getting your system.

JohnMD

I think your the first person on this forum to order during the transition period between dealer install (Invision LT Series) and factory installed (M&D)

I have the Invision LT series, they are great but only complaint is FM Modulation audio through MFT is terrible. I hope yours is a hardwire audio connection.

Do you happen to know what model M&D headrest DVD's they chose as OEM now?

My car was built on Dec 4th and I have the Invision

Thank you everyone for your replies. One reply suggested that I call Ford of Canada. I did so and was ultimately trasfered through to a Customer Service Manager. She has told me that Ford does not currently have a vendor for the headrest DVDs and cannot give me a estimated date for rectifying my situation until this is sorted out. I was appalled to be left basically up in the air. There was no mention of Ford switching over to the Myron and Davis units as someone here described. At this point, I am left paying for the $1900 option as part of my amortized monthly payment, with no idea if/when the units will actually be installed. I really hope Ford can rectify this mess quickly. These are a key vehicle option for us as a family of four with small children who take regular long driving trips on the weekends and are accustomed to having the DVD units as we did in our former 2008 MKX.

Thats brutal but then look at all of us that paid for MFT and it hasn't worked as described since it was released.

that is crazy.. I just got my car on the 28th and I had them ....

Thank you everyone for your replies. One reply suggested that I call Ford of Canada. I did so and was ultimately trasfered through to a Customer Service Manager. She has told me that Ford does not currently have a vendor for the headrest DVDs and cannot give me a estimated date for rectifying my situation until this is sorted out. I was appalled to be left basically up in the air. There was no mention of Ford switching over to the Myron and Davis units as someone here described. At this point, I am left paying for the $1900 option as part of my amortized monthly payment, with no idea if/when the units will actually be installed. I really hope Ford can rectify this mess quickly. These are a key vehicle option for us as a family of four with small children who take regular long driving trips on the weekends and are accustomed to having the DVD units as we did in our former 2008 MKX.

JohnMD

I would call Invision first thing tomorrow and ask if they have any Invision LT Series in stock with Ford Explorer OEM headrests. You can also buy them from many Ford parts suppliers. Then once you locate a set get your money back from Ford.

Like these:

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Invision-DVD-Headrests-p/vbb5z-10e947-bb.htm

Hi everyone. Here's the latest update. The Ford Customer Service manager called me again today to tell me that there's nothing they can do for me, but, the dealer can refund my purchase price (+ tax and interest) for the DVD units. Customer Service is maintaining their explanation as Ford doesn't have a vendor currently for the 2013 Explorer. So, I'm completely perplexed about how ScionD managed to get his vehicle delivered on the 28th with the DVDs. Question for you Scion: Are they Invision or Myron and Davis units? If they are Myron & Davis units, then I should be able to push Ford Canada to supply me with the same. I have also tried to call Invision like Sgt1411 recommended. However, Invision is saying that they cannot deal with me directly because they can only deal with Ford direct on Ford requests because they are a vendor supplier to Ford. So, Invision appears to have no idea about Ford claiming that they no longer have Invision as a vendor. What a run around with this bunch of complete morons at Ford. I like your idea Sgt1411 of buying direct from PartsCheap. I previously bought roof rack cross rails from them at a third of the price that the dealer was asking. But, the big challenge is going to be hard wiring them into the vehicle myself as I doubt that the dealer will do it for me if I buy the parts from PartCheap. What a headache.

I took mine out of my 2011 and put them into my 2013. The only difference was the power connect wire harness.

If you PM me with your email I will send you the Ford OEM Installation instructions that I got from another member here.

Thanks for offering to send the instructions to me Sgt. I have sent a PM to you as suggested.

2013 Explorer DVD

I picked up my '13 Explorer Sport on December 4th and wanted the DVD option in time for a Christmas road trip. I ended up with a nearly identical system to brochure advertised Inovision system. However, my system is branded as Advent it works well, but most importantly the two headrests match the interior. I was disappointed that the system is not as well integrated our old Mercury Mountaineer system, which we could control in the front. However, the ability for our sons to watch separate movies in the Explorer is almost priceless.

Hi everyone. Here's the latest update. The Ford Customer Service manager called me again today to tell me that there's nothing they can do for me, but, the dealer can refund my purchase price (+ tax and interest) for the DVD units. Customer Service is maintaining their explanation as Ford doesn't have a vendor currently for the 2013 Explorer. So, I'm completely perplexed about how ScionD managed to get his vehicle delivered on the 28th with the DVDs. Question for you Scion: Are they Invision or Myron and Davis units? If they are Myron & Davis units, then I should be able to push Ford Canada to supply me with the same. I have also tried to call Invision like Sgt1411 recommended. However, Invision is saying that they cannot deal with me directly because they can only deal with Ford direct on Ford requests because they are a vendor supplier to Ford. So, Invision appears to have no idea about Ford claiming that they no longer have Invision as a vendor. What a run around with this bunch of complete morons at Ford. I like your idea Sgt1411 of buying direct from PartsCheap. I previously bought roof rack cross rails from them at a third of the price that the dealer was asking. But, the big challenge is going to be hard wiring them into the vehicle myself as I doubt that the dealer will do it for me if I buy the parts from PartCheap. What a headache.
My car was built on 12/4 and delivered on the 28th and I have the Invision units
I am surprised that they left themselves run short on inventory..

Since the "OEM" units are just aftermarket anyway, why not just get another aftermarket brand and save some money? You can get better units that have more functionality for far less money.

My sister in law bought her kids an iPad each instead of DVD head rests in their newest vehicle.

Might be something to look into. Cheaper, more versatile, and you can easily get a vehicle mounting for it.

iPads are a better solution in someways because they can easily be removed and taken with you, greater functionality, and the screen is bigger.

The downside is exposed wires from a headrest mount, or Bluetooth headphones at an extra cost.

My only concern is that in an impact the iPad becomes a flying object, mounted or handheld.

my kids have tablets and I have the headrest dvd's
the problem with the tablets is kids get car sick watching them after a while

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Everyone. Just to update all of you, I finally got the headrest DVDs installed in my Explorer. Ford of Canada informed me that there was nothing they could do for me, because they "do not have a vendor currently". So, the only option they could offer me was for the dealer to refund my purchase price including financing charges and tax so that I could source headrest DVD players through the aftermarket. This was a protracted ordeal, but, at least I finally managed to get a local dealer to source and install the exact same Myron and Davis DVD players that Ford was supposed to have put into the vehicle. I have no idea why Ford couldn't do this for me. I am pleased, however, that the aftermarket dealer was able to do the job for me for $500 less than I would have paid through Ford.

Back