2013 Explorer Power Point / Cigarette Lighter Power Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Power Point / Cigarette Lighter Power Issue

jweeza

Reaction score
City, State
des moines
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 exploder
Good Morning All!

First off, I apologize if this has been hit somewhere else on the boards, but I couldn't quite find anything more than fuse locations.

Situation: The Power Point in my little front cubby under the radio is dead, as is the one in the middle compartment, and the back of that compartment. The one in the rear cargo area still works. They kind of went out in a domino fashion, first the one in back of the middle armrest compartment (the one i used the most with the inverter and has worked for the last 8 months with it). Then it was the one in the compartment, then the one in the little radio cubby.

Probable Culprit: Power inverter I use for charging laptop and equipment batteries (this is a work truck)

Additional Information: Neither of the 2 fuses on my inverter blew. I also checked 3 of the fuses in the engine compartment per the owners manual (#9, #20, #21). For the interior fuses, the owners manual does not mention what fuse it is, but after searching online I heard a couple ideas for other model years (Mainly Fuse #24) but i do not know if that is accurate. I tried pulling it, it looks good and has continuity.

So now my main questions. Any ideas on if I have checked the right fuses? Or any ideas on what else could be the problem? I don't see anything else malfunctioning that I have noticed so if it is a fuse issue i dont see what else that fuse would be tied to. I would pull each fuse individually but holy cow its hard to get my big head under there, pull, and replace the fuse. The fuses are so small I cant even really check continuity of them without pulling them like you can with larger ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about fuse 27 20A** Powerpoint (console). Fuse 24 is for Trailer tow (TT) battery charge

Peter

What about fuse 27 20A** Powerpoint (console). Fuse 24 is for Trailer tow (TT) battery charge

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for pointing that one out. I don't know how I missed that one!

But that one wasnt blown either. I visually checked it. Looked fine. Pulled it and checked continuity, no problem. I even swapped with a new one of the same amperage.

I'm wondering if there are any fuses that control the power points in the passenger compartment. I dont see any mentioned in the owners manual. Otherwise, does anyone have a guess of what would be causing this besides fuses?

Did you ever solve your problem? I have a 2015 explorer and the front cubby socket stopped working, but the fuses in the engine compartment all check fine.

Did you ever solve your problem? I have a 2015 explorer and the front cubby socket stopped working, but the fuses in the engine compartment all check fine.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for a reply from that member. He hasn't been on here since November 2, 2016.
Hopefully someone will have a suggestion. I'm not sure what else could be involved other than fuses unless it is a connection issue.

Peter

My best guess is that the socket went bad. I can't figure out how to remove it, though. The repair manual shows a special removal tool that I don't have. I guess I'll have to let the dealer work his magic.

Following this to see if you find a resolution. I bought my 2013 used and none of the 4 charging ports have ever worked on mine. I posted a thread about it around a year and a half ago and tried everything suggested but never could figure it out. All other electronics work fine, including USB and 110-volt. Well, except for my driver's side sun visor that decided to stop receiving power the other day...but that's completely separate from this issue.

Following this to see if you find a resolution. I bought my 2013 used and none of the 4 charging ports have ever worked on mine. I posted a thread about it around a year and a half ago and tried everything suggested but never could figure it out. All other electronics work fine, including USB and 110-volt. Well, except for my driver's side sun visor that decided to stop receiving power the other day...but that's completely separate from this issue.
Just read through the other thread and no where does it say that you ever had the dealer or other garage look at it. That's what I would have done after not finding any obvious issue.

Peter

Back