2013 Explorer Sport Towing capabilities | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport Towing capabilities

Hi guys, great site here.

Is anyone here towing long distances with their Explorer Sport yet? We have about 3k miles on ours and I've towed our snowmobile trailer with it locally a few times with mixed feelings. The trailer weighs in between 4k-4.5k lbs when it's loaded. It handles the weight just fine and stops on a dime with my P3 controller. The thing I don't like about the Eco Boost is the amount of heat it puts out towing. This thing gets real hot just towing locally. As much as I love the comfort of it, I just don't feel too comfortable towing with it for 6+ hrs. My other vehicle is a F350 6.0, but I'd like to use the Explorer sometimes.

Thanks in advance

Hi sammy77,

Welcome to the forum! If you think your Explorer is giving off an excessive amount of heat, you can always have your dealer check it out. They'll be in the best position to determine if your vehicle is performing normally.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys, great site here.

Is anyone here towing long distances with their Explorer Sport yet? We have about 3k miles on ours and I've towed our snowmobile trailer with it locally a few times with mixed feelings. The trailer weighs in between 4k-4.5k lbs when it's loaded. It handles the weight just fine and stops on a dime with my P3 controller. The thing I don't like about the Eco Boost is the amount of heat it puts out towing. This thing gets real hot just towing locally. As much as I love the comfort of it, I just don't feel too comfortable towing with it for 6+ hrs. My other vehicle is a F350 6.0, but I'd like to use the Explorer sometimes.

Thanks in advance

Just curious as to what you're saying about the heat it puts out... is the Water Temp reading high or are you just going by the feel of something on the vehicle?

As the owner of a SuperDuty, I'll have to say that given the option, I'd just use the SuperDuty to tow.

I have never had any temperature concerns towing my 4,500+ pounds boat. No 6 hour tows, but long enoug hat speed to thoroughly heat the system. Personally, I'd be concerned about any heat/overheat condition during the cold Winter months.

Just curious as to what you're saying about the heat it puts out... is the Water Temp reading high or are you just going by the feel of something on the vehicle?

As the owner of a SuperDuty, I'll have to say that given the option, I'd just use the SuperDuty to tow.

Not a water temp thing. I believe it's more an exhaust temp heat that I think is excessive. Not sure really, I'm hoping it's just me. I'll definitely continue to use my truck. I just made a 5hr trip towing up to Mi with it today. We bought the Explorer hoping to use it sometimes. Thank you.

Hi sammy77,

Welcome to the forum! If you think your Explorer is giving off an excessive amount of heat, you can always have your dealer check it out. They'll be in the best position to determine if your vehicle is performing normally.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Crystal

Thank you. I think the problem with that is they would have to duplicate it by towing the trailer.

I have never had any temperature concerns towing my 4,500+ pounds boat. No 6 hour tows, but long enoug hat speed to thoroughly heat the system. Personally, I'd be concerned about any heat/overheat condition during the cold Winter months.

Do you have a Sport?

Thank you. I think the problem with that is they would have to duplicate it by towing the trailer.

Hi sammy77,

If you're willing to bring your vehicle and trailer to the dealership for diagnosis, let me know and I'll get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. If you'd like to proceed, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

Hi sammy77,

If you're willing to bring your vehicle and trailer to the dealership for diagnosis, let me know and I'll get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. If you'd like to proceed, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

Thank you very much for your generosity. I've been a long time Ford owner and converted my family to all Ford's years ago. In the spring time I plan on discussing the issue with the dealer and see what they say. If this gets me no where, I will definitely need your help.

Thank you very much for your generosity. I've been a long time Ford owner and converted my family to all Ford's years ago. In the spring time I plan on discussing the issue with the dealer and see what they say. If this gets me no where, I will definitely need your help.

You're quite welcome, sammy77. Let me know how things go at the dealership. I'll be in standby mode until I hear from you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Turbo engines will run with increased tems (cooland should be around the thermostat temp though).
Do the Sports report EGT? Where is it reading from (pre or post turbo)? What temps can these engines take?

Apples to oranges, but my 7.3 Powerstroke pre-turbo EGTs are safe right up to 1250deg F all day long... Above that for more than very short spurts and things will start to melt.

Turbo engines will run with increased tems (cooland should be around the thermostat temp though).
Do the Sports report EGT? Where is it reading from (pre or post turbo)? What temps can these engines take?

Apples to oranges, but my 7.3 Powerstroke pre-turbo EGTs are safe right up to 1250deg F all day long... Above that for more than very short spurts and things will start to melt.

EGT's..

Exactly what I was getting at. I've been towing trailers of all sizes for recreational use for 15yrs. I am definitely sure that EGT temps would exceed specs if took this thing on that long of a tow. I do monitor EGT's on my 6.0, and do know that in the mountains towing 15+k lbs, I've seen nearly 1400deg. I do have a couple scan tools that will allow me to view Pid's, just don't know if EGT's are one of them to view on my Explorer. Now, I'm realistic, I would never expect to compare apples and oranges here. Two different animals here. My only concern was the safety of my family when towing. Thank you.

Back