2013 PIU Brake controller plug?

DarKTeK

Reaction score
City, State
Macungie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Hi everyone,

I've spent a lot of time reading through these forums and others trying to find out definitely the answer to this.

Does anyone here have a 2013 PIU that actually had the brake controller plug as part of their factory installed wiring harness?

I have been under the dash a few times looking for this plug and I cannot find it on my '13.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a Facebook group someone wrote that in response to my question:

"The trailer brake controller is located below the BCM in the driver's kick panel. It's a pretty standard Ford plug that any trailer brake controller for a Ford will plug into.

My 2014 has the trailer brake controller plug, and when I added the 4 and 7 pin plug harness when I installed my Class III hitch, everything worked perfectly. I haven't put a trailer brake in mine at this point however. "

I haven't been able to check that yet. The BCM is the box that looks like a fuse box?

.................................................................The BCM is the box that looks like a fuse box?
I found this diagram in the List of Useful Thread on Component Location Views for 2011 - 2015 Explorers. Hope it helps. BCM is shown under the #5.

Peter

Clip_3.jpg

Hello,
I was just curious if you or anyone else found a brake controller plug on a PIU? I looked on my 2014 and could not find one.

Some follow-up for others.... For my 2014 PIU it did not have a trailer towing factory package. As such it does not a trailer brake controller wiring plug under the dash. It also does not have wiring I can plug into for a 7 way under the rear passenger side. The connector there does not contain a brake, power, and reverse wire. The connector under the rear passenger side does contain left, right, park, and ground. So if you need a 4-way you can buy a 4-way adapter wiring harness, unplug the dummy plug end, and plug the harness into the connector. Plug and play. But if you need a 7-way you will have to run the power, brake, and reverse wiring.

Back