• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2013 PIU Brake controller plug?

DarKTeK

Reaction score
City, State
Macungie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Hi everyone,

I've spent a lot of time reading through these forums and others trying to find out definitely the answer to this.

Does anyone here have a 2013 PIU that actually had the brake controller plug as part of their factory installed wiring harness?

I have been under the dash a few times looking for this plug and I cannot find it on my '13.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

DarKTeK

Reaction score
City, State
Macungie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU

DarKTeK

Reaction score
City, State
Macungie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
On a Facebook group someone wrote that in response to my question:

"The trailer brake controller is located below the BCM in the driver's kick panel. It's a pretty standard Ford plug that any trailer brake controller for a Ford will plug into.

My 2014 has the trailer brake controller plug, and when I added the 4 and 7 pin plug harness when I installed my Class III hitch, everything worked perfectly. I haven't put a trailer brake in mine at this point however. "

I haven't been able to check that yet. The BCM is the box that looks like a fuse box?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
.................................................................The BCM is the box that looks like a fuse box?
I found this diagram in the List of Useful Thread on Component Location Views for 2011 - 2015 Explorers. Hope it helps. BCM is shown under the #5.

Peter

Clip_3.jpg

BrettS.

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU EB
Hello,
I was just curious if you or anyone else found a brake controller plug on a PIU? I looked on my 2014 and could not find one.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

BrettS.

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU EB
Some follow-up for others.... For my 2014 PIU it did not have a trailer towing factory package. As such it does not a trailer brake controller wiring plug under the dash. It also does not have wiring I can plug into for a 7 way under the rear passenger side. The connector there does not contain a brake, power, and reverse wire. The connector under the rear passenger side does contain left, right, park, and ground. So if you need a 4-way you can buy a 4-way adapter wiring harness, unplug the dummy plug end, and plug the harness into the connector. Plug and play. But if you need a 7-way you will have to run the power, brake, and reverse wiring.