Brake Controller Plug and Wiring | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller Plug and Wiring

Hi there. Wow, only 250 hp out of that beast in high altitude! As you know that's where turbo's shine. I can only imagine what are stock v6 dyno's out at here in the high altitude. Probably don't want to know. Gives us a better appreciation of what are base engine actually can do pulling our trailer up here. We've also been thinking of adding the K&N air intake and cat back exhaust system to help it breathe easier. I know some guys on this forum have done this, but where just wondering if it really adds any power or just noise. What kind of mileage have you been getting out of your ex, city or highway? Just want to compare to are ex.

Here is the YouTube video of the SRT8 in Denver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH0fpLgYOGc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

location ofTrailer Brake

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me where they installed there trailer break controller in there X. I will be purchasing my Explorer xlt next week and need to have one installed for my travel trailer.

Any pic's would be helpful

Thanks for your input

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me where they installed there trailer break controller in there X. I will be purchasing my Explorer xlt next week and need to have one installed for my travel trailer.

Any pic's would be helpful

Thanks for your input
Welcome to the Forim keechie. :wavey:

Peter

Like the installer of the link Peter posted, I installed mine in a similar fashion, but on the right side of the steering column (instead of the left) with 2-sided tape. I couldn't bring myself to drilling into the panels.

It's behind (or above) the black cover under the steering column. The bulge located to the left of the picture:

DSCN0531.jpg

It's the grey plug here:

DSCN0536.jpg

With the pigtail plugged in:

DSCN0537.jpg

Hope this helps.

Does anyone have a photo of where theirs was or is located? Want to make sure I identified the right connector.

Here you go:

DSCN0531.jpg

It's the grey plug here:

DSCN0536.jpg

With the pigtail plugged in:

DSCN0537.jpg

I shared this in another post as well. Just wanted to be helpful. I had to drop the cover to get to mine as well. Where did you guys install the controller itself? I sticky-taped mine to the dash below the tow/haul button. I didn't want to drill any holes in-case I didn't like the location.

Brake controller

I installed ours under the dash on the right side of the steering column. I did drill the holes to mount it. Works well for us in that location.

Where to mount Brake Controller

It's time to hookup my Prodigy brake controller.

Where have you guys been mounting them?

Good choice on a prodigy - you got the proportional ?

Will not install one on the sport since we tow with the dedicated tow vehicle in my signature,
but in previous vehicles have always found that once set up correctly, you RARELY will need to get to it
(Assuming you are towing the same trailer each time )...
so placement is up to you...

but I usually mounted mine below the dash on the right side of the steering column..

scroll to the bottom of this page for some installation info that may help:
http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2013_Ford_Explorer.htm

It's time to hookup my Prodigy brake controller.

Where have you guys been mounting them?
Welcome to the Forum jawise7.:wavey:
Being new to the Forum, I'm not sure if you are aware that there is a 'Search' program you can use to find if there are previous threads on the topic.

Good luck

Peter

2014 Explorer Electric Brake Wiring Location

Hello,

Hopefully I am placing this post in the correct thread as I am new. I have a 2014 XLT 4WD w/ towing package. I have an older boat that has surge brakes that I'm looking to replace w/ electric brakes, and I'm pretty sure my Explorer has the wiring already for electric brakes? (At least I've read other posts about 2013's w/ towing packages that has this).

So, I realize if this is the case, then I just buy the wiring harness such as this (http://www.etrailer.com/p-3035-P.html) and also the brake controller, then just purchase the components for the trailer.

Can anyone that has a 2014 w/ towing package verify where I plug in this harness? I've seen mixed posts whether its actually under the dash, or behind the glovebox.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum gibbywmu.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one.

Peter

Can anyone that has a 2014 w/ towing package verify where I plug in this harness? I've seen mixed posts whether its actually under the dash, or behind the glovebox.

Thanks!
The glovebox connector was on the prior generation Explorer. Look at the pictures above for this generation's.

Wire harness

Okay, read the entire forum and noticed that most of he vehicle where between 2011-2013. I have a 14' and was wondering of if the 3035-P harness will work on my vehicle as I have the CLIII Tow package. I found the whole package of the Tekonsha P3 w/ harness for $153 free shipping. So I want get it before I leave Germany and the vehicle ships back to the states. Will be pulling a horse trailer without any horses of course.

Yes, that is exactly what I got for my 2014 Explorer. No changes from the previous years. Took me 10 minutes to install and works great.

Trailer brake controller confusion

I seldom post , but spend hours reading on here. Great info on here ! But I have question/observation I wanted to post to get some feedback. So here goes....2012 Explorer XLT w/ 3.5 V6

When I bought it (used) it had no hitch and no "tow package" listed on the window sticker. So after alot of research I found and installed a "T" -type connector into the factory harness under the rear passenger side fender. This gave me a 4-flat connector (plug&play). Then I added a 4-flat to 7-way adapter. Wires for trailer brake, 12volt, etc. were taped and put to the side. I was surprised to find a "T" type adapter worked instead of having to do one of the splice-in kits that are normally used for non-tow-package vehicles.

Now I'm ready to add the brake controller for use with our little pop-up camper that has brakes (2500lb camper). So I was prepared to have to run wires for a brake signal, 12 volts to the brake controller, a line from controller back to the trailer brake pin, and another line for the 12 volt supply to the trailer .

HERE's where it gets wierd....I found the plug under the dash that allows you to plug in a brake controller adapter ! I didn't expect that on a non-tow-package model.

So is there a "T" adapter that I can use at the back to get 7-way plug instead of just the 4-way ?

If I plug my brake controller into the plug under the dash, will I get power to the controller and a brake signal ? That would mean I only need to run a line for the trailer brakes and my 12v trailer supply.

I ordered a tekonsha controller and 3035-P adapter. Hoping for the best...

Welcome to the Forum bl8tant.:wavey:
I merged your thread with this existing one. If the answer you're looking for isn't here, hopefully another member will be able to help.

Peter

The connector adapters at the rear by themselves will not give you the full functionality of the 7 pin connector. The 7 pin connector not only provides the trailer brake circuit, but a 12v circuit capable of charging the trailer auxiliary brake battery, and a small load, like lighting, on the trailer.

That said, unless someone else beats me to it, I will crawl under my Explorer and see where the 7 pin plugs in. Can't imagine that Ford uses a separate wiring harness for the 7 pin, but you never know.

The most important feature of the trailer tow package is the transmission cooler for heavier loads. I'd think they'd just use one wiring harness.

That would be great if you could take a picture of where your 7-way joins the main wiring harness.

It seems to me there are several configurations of the wiring harness used by Ford. In my case I have an XLT that has MFT, reverse camera, and reverse sensors but no tow package. So SOME of the needed wiring is there, but not all. I think if it was a more base model with no MFT or back-up camera the wiring would be different or deleted (to save costs).

I like a "clean" install or else I would just run all the wires from scratch....but I sure do hate crawling around under a car just to run wires ! I'll wrench on one all day, but 10 minutes of running wires is enough to aggravate me :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this plays out right, I may be able to order the Ford OEM 7-way harness and plug right in at the rear of the vehicle into the factory harness. Then just plug my controller in at the dash with the adapter. All plug-n-play !

But I doubt that's how this is going to go.....:(

Back