2014 Explorer Passenger Side Vibration @ 1400-1800 RPM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Passenger Side Vibration @ 1400-1800 RPM

giantsfan

Reaction score
City, State
California, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Limited
Hi Everyone! I have a '14 Explorer Limited 3.5L AWD with 61,000 miles that is causing me major issues. I have had a major vibration on the passenger side of the truck at approximately 1400-1800 RPM at any speed. This happens while driving or when I try to duplicate it by 'power braking' the truck. Once it's in park or neutral without a load I can't duplicate the vibration. It's very loud and the whole passenger floor board vibrates in that RPM range. I can even feel it in the shifter and gas pedal.

Here is a list of everything I have done so far to try to fix it:
- Replaced RH wheel bearing: still had vibration
- Rotated tires: Tires are 3 year old Michelins with plenty of tread, still had vibration
- Attempted the PTU flush (the gear oil was nasty and smelled to high heaven!): still had vibration
- Replaced the PTU: still had vibration
- Replaced front brake pads and rotors: still had vibration
- Replaced front RH caliper: noticed that the pistons were not moving fully, still had vibration
- Replaced transmission mount: still have vibration.

The transmission mount I just replaced today. I replaced all the other thing in the last couple of weeks and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure what is causing this! My wife is actually scared to drive it because the vibration is so bad.

If any of you have any other ideas that I might have missed or know what this could be I really appreciate it!
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly the RH drive axle. It connects to this bracket just outside of where it goes to the PTU. I've heard of those brackets breaking. I believe Ford came out with a beefier one. Even if that mount bracket isn't broke, axle could still be messed up.

Thanks Adrian! I was thinking of the same thing. I inspected the axle when I removed to replace the PTU and I didn't see anything physically wrong with it so I put it back in. I know that there is a bearing where the mount bracket is, could that be it? The cv joint doesn't have any signs of going bad, like clicking when I turn. Would the axle cause the vibration only at low RPM?

Passenger side motor mount would be my guess

I'm really down to 2 things from what I can see. The RH axle or the RH motor mount. I know the mount mounts are liquid filled and have a tendency to leak or blow up. I checked mine today and its not leaking. I think I might do the axle next, if that doesn't do it, I'll attack the motor mount. Thanks boomin!

The axle wouldn't cause a vibration sitting still though.

Also if its consistent with rpms and not with speed then its definitely not an axle.

You make a great point. I guess I was thinking more about the vibration while driving. Plus a motor mount is way cheaper than an axle. I guess I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks again boomin!

Support the engine with a jack and a block of wood while you swap it. It's a 20 minute job with power tools, hand tools maybe a few more.

I was going to say engine mount as well.

Hi Peter,

My wife has been on the passenger side and thought it was on the door but I had that apart and didn’t see anything. I do know when I was at the airport and the car was parked the wind was hollowing like crazy and I did hear it like right under the floor of the passenger side but did see anything moving. It sounds like a rubber or felt hitting the body. The travel part is I guess the way I hear it but not confirmed .

Peter,

Thank you for the welcome ! I did have Ford clean out the roof drains a while ago.

The 'A' pillar was an item of concern on the earlier Explorers. Some actually blew off on the highway. Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise According to your description it doesn't appear to be that if it seems to be coming from under the vehicle. I don't know of any kind of "felt" under there. Have you checked the area for any possible items that may be loose? Does the speed you're travelling affect it?

Peter

Peter,

mist a slap noise. I’ve looked all around and have not seen anything loose. Just wondering if it’s the drain hose slapping around ?

I've never looked for the drain hose so I have no idea how long it is where it exits. No one has ever posted about any issues about it making any kind of sound at all. I'm guessing you hear it all the time regardless of speed?

No it’s intermittent and sometimes non existent

Does yours have the tow package. there's a duct piece under the motor that tends to come loose and flap and usually falls off down the road.

Back