Vibration at idle, 2014 Sport

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I did a search, but didn't seem to find an answer.

I have a 2014 Sport with about 117k miles on it and it seems to have picked up a vibration at idle. I only had a short ride in it today, but there was what I think was a noticeable vibration at idle with car in gear. Not crazy vibration, but more than I remember. I last drove it less than a month ago and don't remember the vibe.

My wife drives it, so I ride/drive it every so often, but I noticed the vibration right away when we stopped at a stop sign.

As soon as she hit the throttle, no more vibe.

My thought is an engine and/or transmission mount.

I might plug in my OBDII reader and see of there are any misfire counts, but as I mentioned, it's only noticeable at idle.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't notice any different exhaust sound (leaks).

You thinking maybe a broken hanger or something like that?

Sounds like engine mounts to me

The pulses from a small exhaust leak can vibrate the cabin. At that mileage it could be anything including an engine/trans mount. Some years don't have a trans mount but your 2014 should.

Couple short videos showing engine movement when shifting from drive to reverse. Engine fully warmed up, normal ~700rpm idle speed. The torque thrust mount (I think that's what it's called) seems to move quite a bit.

One more video of the rear torque mount (trans mount?). I did a little power brake towards the end. You can see it really torque the joint. Seems like they both should be replaced. Thoughts?

Yes, this thing has 117k on it

I ordered new torque strut mounts (front and rear). Should be here this weekend.
I'll report back.

I did go cheap with parts store replacements, mainly because I had a $20 off coupon. We only plan to have the Ex a year longer at most.
If I was going to keep it longer, I'd go with Ford parts.

Installed the new torque strut mounts today. Took about 15 minutes to do the front and about 45 total to do the rear (includes finding my jack and stand).

Most bolts were ok to remove, even after almost 9 salty MN winters. The most difficult was the front bolt on the rear mount that goes into the transmission(?) case. That one just had a constant drag on the bolt, I was concerned it was stripped, but turned out fine.

Vibration seems to be reduced a little bit. It does seem a bit more solid though, so that's a plus.

I also checked misfire 'ticks' and none of the cylinders had more than 1 or 2 over the last 10 drive cycles.

At this time, I don't plan to do any more work and just let it ride and not worry about it.

Back