2014 explorer sport AWD Off on start up and in accessory mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 explorer sport AWD Off on start up and in accessory mode

gbgoss17

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Just recently bought a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. Replaced the PTU and now it says AWD OFF on Startup even if it's cold.
Code: P182C-00, Transfer Case Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Low. Besides the connectors and Fluid what else could it be? Not over heating because it says AWD Off on every start up. It does seem to go into 4wd when switching the terrain mode. Is the AWD Off message normal on start up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it's not normal.

It could be a defective sensor in the replacement PTU, wrong replacement PTU, the connector, the wiring, or the PCM's input port for the PTU temperature sensor.

Just recently bought a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. Replaced the PTU and now it says AWD OFF on Startup even if it's cold.
Code: P182C-00, Transfer Case Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Low. Besides the connectors and Fluid what else could it be? Not over heating because it says AWD Off on every start up. It does seem to go into 4wd when switching the terrain mode. Is the AWD Off message normal on start up?
Welcome to the Forum.
The Owner's Manual shows only 2 possibilities for that warning. One is for using the spare tire (donut) and the other si for overheating. So, as others have mentioned, it could be a faulty sensor.

Peter

Thanks you everyone. I'll pull the sensor tonight and check for damage.

This just in I'm an idiot..... during the install I got the wire pinched against a bracket or engine block. Yanked it out, ripping the wire but I was able to solder the wire but did ordered a new one for insurance. No more AWD Off light. Thanks for the insight.

Just another quick question...who ever had this explorer before cut the lines to the rear HVCA system in coolant and a/c lines to the rear. Any suggestions if it worth hooking those lines back up?

This just in I'm an idiot..... during the install I got the wire pinched against a bracket or engine block. Yanked it out, ripping the wire but I was able to solder the wire but did ordered a new one for insurance. No more AWD Off light. Thanks for the insight.

Just another quick question...who ever had this explorer before cut the lines to the rear HVCA system in coolant and a/c lines to the rear. Any suggestions if it worth hooking those lines back up?
Me personally yes love having rear Ac on my gmc and explorer seems to cool the truck off way quicker.

Glad to see you found the problem. As for the rear HVAC, if you carry passengers it might be worth it. As for me being the only occupant, I've never used it on any of my vehicles.

Peter

If I understand correctly, people were capping off those lines to stop a leak in the rear HVAC rather than fix it. So if you hook them back up, you may find there's a leak somewhere that someone didn't want to spend the money to fix.

If I understand correctly, people were capping off those lines to stop a leak in the rear HVAC rather than fix it. So if you hook them back up, you may find there's a leak somewhere that someone didn't want to spend the money to fix.
Good point. Completely forgot about that. More than likely that is why they were capped. I guess the dealer never bothered checking to see if the rear HVAC system was working.

Peter

Good point. Completely forgot about that. More than likely that is why they were capped. I guess the dealer never bothered checking to see if the rear HVAC system was working.

Peter
To your point, I've never had a need for the rear AC. I believe that even with the lines capped, the blower itself would still work to help circulate the air coming from the front vents to speed up the heating and cooling in the cabin.

The rear hvac module in my X is faulty but front works just fine 😎.

As others stated, the rear lines are probably bad and need to be replaced. They leak often and not that easy to fix. Ive seen them capped at the firewall before too

Back